USB Hardrive and Backups

I just remembered when I copied my reaper to usb,I did the export configuration as well, & you can select what you want to copy, have a look,here's the page in prefs;export config.PNG

what does this do exactly? this export function?

Im guessing it allows transferring everything from the USB to the "main" C drive of the computer?

it copies any changes you made to reaper,from basic,
the cookbook 2 vid covers it all!
EDIT sorry the vid that covers it is VOODOO 1,, MY MISTAKE!

Last edited:
thanks,
it was mentioned in that video general- you posted previously, maybe not in as much depth as the cookbook. idk..

configuration settings for use with different interfaces, seems to be the main point, right?
I don't think I made any changes to Reaper from basic other than assigning some folders with names for Project save function. Didn't appear I'll need much else than the "basic"/default.

good info, thanks..

off reaper topic...but I just lost another 1.5yr old 500gig internal HD, Seagate Barracuda. Dead.
Is it just me or is it crap is made cheaper and crashes more and more?
geeez....seems every 2 months I have a hardrive fail or something freezing up or a ps dead(which happened this weak too.
it is a 2005 pc this time. but the HD was new.

Took it to a tech, and he scratched his head and said it was dead. (luckily had everything backed up this time thought to a USB HD....and bought another USB HD today for more backing up).

I guess what around 5yrs old throw the pc away and get a new one? What do you guys do?

off reaper topic...but I just lost another 1.5yr old 500gig internal HD, Seagate Barracuda. Dead.
Is it just me or is it crap is made cheaper and crashes more and more?
geeez....seems every 2 months I have a hardrive fail or something freezing up or a ps dead(which happened this weak too.
it is a 2005 pc this time. but the HD was new.

Took it to a tech, and he scratched his head and said it was dead. (luckily had everything backed up this time thought to a USB HD....and bought another USB HD today for more backing up).

I guess what around 5yrs old throw the pc away and get a new one? What do you guys do?

I backup for backups myself. Drive failure is a hit and miss thing. Some can last 10 years, some 6 months. ..

I run my OS on two Seagate 1TB Barracudas in RAID 1. That way, if one fails, I just replace it and continue on with no loss of programs. I record to an external 1TB Barracuda. It only spins while recording, so hope it lasts a while. Still, every time I complete a session, I will back up the files to another external drive. Just in case thing. Depending on the project, it usually only takes a few clicks to start the backup, then walk away.

I am actually contemplating a backup for backup drive or cloud service thing. I do not know what the hell I would do if I lost a project. Start over I suppose...I do not wish to go there...

'All' Drives fail eventually. Hopefully my life lasts longer. :D

Good to be a little paranoid and spend a few bucks, especially if it is other peoples interests involved.

Last edited:
I backup for backups myself. Drive failure is a hit and miss thing. Some can last 10 years, some 6 months. ..

I run my OS on two Seagate 1TB Barracudas in RAID 1. That way, if one fails, I just replace it and continue on with no loss of programs. I record to an external 1TB Barracuda. It only spins while recording, so hope it lasts a while. Still, every time I complete a session, I will back up the files to another external drive. Just in case thing. Depending on the project, it usually only takes a few clicks to start the backup, then walk away.

I am actually contemplating a backup for backup drive or cloud service thing. I do not know what the hell I would do if I lost a project. Start over I suppose...I do not wish to go there...

'All' Drives fail eventually. Hopefully my life lasts longer. :D

Good to be a little paranoid and spend a few bucks, especially if it is other peoples interests involved.

So the two run at the same time, like a dual recorder? How does that work? While you record it sends it to two hardrives at the same time?

My next buy in this arena is to get a stick, no moving parts, and copy folders over.
I still am a bit confused on what Reaper is storing and last time I tried using my "backup" Reaper couldn't find my files.

off topic...jimmy, Michael Morrow and that Gimme track is really pro-level, whats the secret to those guitar tracks? hmmm? Gibson, PRS? tube marshall and a 57? some comp? ...sounds great, you nailed it.

For ease and security, the raid 1 is the way to go. I hear a lot of people doing raid 0, but this is mainly a schema to improve small data chunks like databases that are accessed a lot. (1000 a second or more). Since most of what is done with the computers here are large chunks, your gain in raid 0 would not be noticeable if not actually negative.

So raid 1 is a mirrored copy of the hard drive and is controlled by the BIOS. One goes down, point to the other, keep going. Get another quick. If you do do raid 1, it may take awhile before the transfer is complete, but this is the best and easiest back up you can do.

In another note, HD failures are probably higher since the profit margins are down on these components so they are using lower grade parts in them. Plus, I think they don't want them to last forever, after all, they sell hard drives.

Raid 1 and back up schema is more than enough.

off topic...jimmy, Michael Morrow and that Gimme track is really pro-level, whats the secret to those guitar tracks? hmmm? Gibson, PRS? tube marshall and a 57? some comp? ...sounds great, you nailed it.

No secret, just a cool dood and his guitar.

Gretsch Brian Setzer Hot Rod guitar, stock Filter Tron pickups, a Boss eq in the loop for boost, Crate Bluvoodo 50 watt head with matching 4x12 cab. Nothing else. Close mic'd with SM57 and MD421. 57 through a Vintech X73i. 421 through Tascam US1800 interface pre's. I only used minimal compression on the solo tracks. PSP Vintage Warmer on the guitar group. Just a bit of added saturation there.

It's amazing how a player makes the difference tho. The same gear with another guy playing would not sound the same.

I have external HDD, few USB sticks and large Dropbox space. Those are my backup plans. I've found that cloud storage actually is most convenient, and gives me an illusion that everything is safe somewhere...there. :rolleyes:

Still waiting for prices to drop on SSD HDD:s, though.

P.S. In case somebody didn't know, you can copy the entire "REAPER Application Data"-folder and throw it on top of new Reaper install. Works well, just tested it on another laptop when my all-mighty Dell laptop gave up. Doesn't matter if you are you using W7 or W8 either way, don't know about Macs.

... I run my OS on two Seagate 1TB Barracudas in RAID 1. That way, if one fails, I just replace it and continue on with no loss of programs. ..
Wow I never noticed this - RAID can be used as a redundancy method for the OS drive.

Yep. After my last drive crash experience of downloading, reinstalling, activating...I never want to have to do that again unless it is planned. Took forever!

Make sure you use RAID 1.

It's worth learning how Your projects are saved and keeping them on a separate drive to your OS and programs.

I copy my project drive straight to an external drive where they can work with Reaper with no fiddling or down time. I use "Sync Toy" to copy.

I use the free version of Macrium Reflect to make system images on the external Drive. Unless you have a huge system disk (full of Reaper projects) the images only take about 30 minutes (much faster than rebuilding from scratch) and you can also use them if you want to move your OS to a new drive.

Also export the Reaper configuration, and keep your VST's in a folder on your system drive and copy that when you change it.

Back