Reaper Volume Automation Question

Philthy

So I've just got around to mixing my first project and I've discovered an interesting issue.

I've automated most of my tracks to create dynamics etc. and it's sounding good but when I listened
on different systems etc. (as I know I should) I discovered I thought some tracks too loud.
So my question is... Does anyone know how to change the master volume of a track (i.e. turn the whole thing down across the whole track) whilst preserving the automation settings (that took so much time to do!)

Thanks guys,

Phil.

Move the fader? I know there's an option or preference somewhere that will couple the envelope to the fader, but I thought that it was off by default so that the envelope does what it does and then the fader affects the overall volume after.

The envelope is normally relative, not absolute, so on any particular track, you can raise or lower the fader and not mess up the envelope.

If you have automated a number of tracks, and you want to control the volume of these easily without dealing with faders individually or messing with envelopes, just create a new track above all the tracks you want to change, then make these tracks a subgroup of this new track. The new track's fader will then control the overall level of anything in the subgroup.

Thing is I thought the channel fader should affect the volume automation, but on the different fader modes they all seem to either do nothing and stick rigidly to the automation when I try to change volume or they simply include a new automation point wherever is selected in the track.

I am of the opinion of gekko, group instruments and then control the volume for them as a group, leaving the master for, well the master. I do this a lot for, guitars, background vocals (set them the way you like, then set them to the music), drum groupings (I may use more than one kit or effects), bass (sometimes I may use a synth and a bass together), etc. It really can help you with a mix.

Lots of ways to approach this.

Hang on I see my problem here, I've used the word master!

To clarify, I've added automation to individual tracks, I'm then wanting to change the volume of the track (I.E. move the track's volume to generally turn down, say a kick drum by 3db) whilst keeping my automation points. Any advice?

Hang on I see my problem here, I've used the word master!

To clarify, I've added automation to individual tracks, I'm then wanting to change the volume of the track (I.E. move the track's volume to generally turn down, say a kick drum by 3db) whilst keeping my automation points. Any advice?

Not a 100% sure this is your question, but there is volume automation at the track level. Just turn it on to be able to view and edit.

OK. Once you've got the automation envelopes where you want them, you should switch them to "Trim/Read" mode. In fact, if you're just drawing them in (not recording fader movements in realtime) then you should just leave them in "Trim/Read" at all times.

This way you'll get the behaviour we've all described above, your fader moves will act as a second control added to the value that the automation sets, and will not create new points in the automation.

Hope it helps.

Hmm, not sure what I'm doing wrong here, when I set the mode to trim/read the automation envelopes are completely ignored by reaper, leaving the channel set at whatever volume the fader is at.

Hmm, not sure what I'm doing wrong here, when I set the mode to trim/read the automation envelopes are completely ignored by reaper, leaving the channel set at whatever volume the fader is at.
Are you sure? In this mode the faders don't move in response to the envelope. You wont see it working, but you should hear it.

Make sure you are editing the volume trim. When you click on the trim, it gives you the option of which trim to view. As ashcat stated, the fader doesn't show movement.

I may be misunderstanding but couldn't you also just select all envelope points and drag down. They will all move together

I may be misunderstanding but couldn't you also just select all envelope points and drag down. They will all move together

yep . . . you can do that as well.

there are many ways of doing it.

The simplest is just moving the fader down.

Back