Reaper and VISTA...any issues?

samurai

Silly question I know but important to me!

Are there any known issues with using Reaper on a Laptop loaded with Vista? It's the only laptop I have available which has sufficient power/memory to cope with a DAW such as Reaper.
I hope to be using it with a Steinberg UR22.

I don't really want to use my desktop PC (Windows 7) for the moment as it would mean too much messing around moving it from room to room so if I can get away with it, using Reaper with Vista on my laptop would be convenient for the moment.

Vista was never a good version of Windows so just wondered if any of you out there know of any issues in using it with Reaper?

Since Reaper can be downloaded for free, it is very lightweight, you should just try it. Vista for the most part was bad due to in coming out and very few vendors had the drivers for it. Many of the drivers for Vista were ported to Win7 and are much more stable.

Vista was not the greatest Windows OS, but more to do with the radical change from XP and vendor adoption/support than a totally unusable OS. I would say 99.9% sure you will be OK as long as the driver for your interface shows that it will support it. Most likely they do since the core code of Win7 and 8 are based off Vista (I bet 90+% reuse from Vista).

I think the real question woul dbe 'are their Stenberg UR22 drivers available for Vista?' Since the UR22 is a fairly new model, I bet there aren't any.

Leaving out the potential interface issue, I used REAPER with VISTA for years with no problem.

According to the website's download link, Reaper itself is backwards compatible all the way to (limited support) Win 98 32-bit!

edit: In computer terms, this is like saying "this program lets you shoot HD video with a 1950's filmstrip projector".

Last edited:
According to the website's download link, Reaper itself is backwards compatible all the way to (limited support) Win 98 32-bit!

edit: In computer terms, this is like saying "this program lets you shoot HD video with a 1950's filmstrip projector".

Yeah, the overhead for Reaper is based in the didactic, not hardware or financials---and the learning curve is a result of the full-featured and open nature of the beast.

If you go with ProTools, be carefull---some versions will just not work with Vista (XP or Win7, just not Vista!) or they will iLok your third-party software/plugins into never-never land.

Seriously, is there anybody out there that updates and supports there DAW as well as the Reaper crew?

Paj
8^?

I never used Vista because its bad reputation. I have used Reaper at XP 32bits and now I migrated to W7 64bits. It works fine in both. If you aren't prepared to move to Windows 7 I would advice you to consider downgrade your Vista PC to XP that is recognized as one of the best Windows versions released to the date.

About DAW itself, I have tried a couple ones such as Samplitude, Sonar and Cubase. I had issues with all of them and they are really heavy. Around a couple years ago I found Reaper and I really loved it. It is very lightweight and stable. I don't remember that it had crashed any time either in XP or in W7. Finally as a bonus, although it is NOT a free software it can be 'evaluated' forever. Yeah, the company that released it puts it very clear that it is not for free, nonetheless the program never will stop to work and you have 100% of its functionality since the first day and forever even if you never register/pay for your copy. I think it is a new way of doing shareware. But if you decide to pay for your copy it won't break the bank.

:listeningmusic:

As for your AI I believe that any decent equipment put in the market by a company that respect the consumers should work with Reaper and other DAWS, with the exception for proprietary software that will depends on an specific hardware. I think that you will be fine with Reaper, and as someone has mentioned above, since you can download Reaper for free it won't hurt you to give it a try. If it doesn't work, the maximum that will happen is you say 'bummer!' and try the next DAW. However nowadays mostly of people uses generic ASIO drivers instead the ones provided with the hardware. As far as I know all (or at least mostly) of AI/SC will work with ASIO.

:thumbs up:

Last edited:
Back