Reaper phase invert button?

That was helpful. Just started using Reaper. I had no idea a phase inversion button was there. I saw this and realized that I had to move the track window over to make more space for the detail. Voila! Phase button. Thanks.

It's inverting polarity BTW, phase is a relationship between two signals. It can't be inverted, as such...

It's inverting polarity BTW, phase is a relationship between two signals. It can't be inverted, as such...

Yep. Common labeling error. Phase and polarity are closely related and sometimes indistinguishable but are not interchangeable.

Phase is a timing difference between two signals, measured in degrees at a given frequency. You can't "invert phase" of a musical signal with just a switch.

Phase is a property of a single frequency, but the value is relative to a second real or imaginary reference wave.

Not really. Phase is the angle of the wave at a given moment. Phase difference is the offset as compared to another wave. One can invert the phase of a single wave (i.e. flip about the x axis) without needing any reference to another wave (which was the original point I'm arguing the toss about).

Not really. Phase is the angle of the wave at a given moment.

Okay, I'll go with that.

Phase difference is the offset as compared to another wave. One can invert the phase of a single wave (i.e. flip about the x axis) without needing any reference to another wave (which was the original point I'm arguing the toss about).

My main concern here is that by using the same term, phase, for inversion on the x axis (amplitude) and shifting along the y axis (time) people will think they are the same when they are not. Even if phase is the scientifically correct term for both there is a huge practical advantage to distinguishing between them.

Back