Help please! I can't get sound

Chumsley

Hi, I am trying out REAPER, mac os version. Using a ALESIS i02 express interface. I just want to hear the audio through my regular speakers attached to built-in output on mac mini (2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 2 GB 1333 MHz DDR3).

When I go to Preferences->Audio, I see nothing obvious to adjust.
When I go 1 level deeper to Preferences->Audio->Device, the interface shows up there but there is not much to adjust, or at least nothing as obvious as "Output:choose X"

Am I missing something obvious? I am getting levels through the interface to the Reaper program, just no sound coming out.

Thanks in advance,
Chumsley

You will have to select another audio interface if you want the output to be different. You will probably (don't know macs) have to switch from ASIO to the Mac audio driver to get Reaper to route to your Mac audio.

I don't see an option to add another audio interface, I think it just recognized mine when I plugged it in. It doesn't seem like you would have to switch to the mac audio driver when using the mac version of reaper though to me.

You select the audio interface you want Reaper to use. If you have an interface that you record with, but another that you want to use to play, how is the system to know?

Not 100% sure, but in Preferences, under audio device you should see Audio System, that will switch it from ASIO to whatever Mac uses, then it will default to the Mac audio. The reason this does this is ASIO does not use the OS drivers for efficiency reasons.

Try it, should work. Otherwise, need to wait for a Mac/Reaper guy to guide you.

You select the audio interface you want Reaper to use. If you have an interface that you record with, but another that you want to use to play, how is the system to know?

I think that if another interface was plugged in, it would show up as a choice. It's just the only thing there (besides built-in input/output, but I want the interface to remain active for input, of course)

It seems that is different on the mac... Thanks for your suggestions though.

Can any mac reaper users offer any advice?

Ok looks like I have to use the interface for output too. So problem solved :) . Just requires extra step or 2.

Ok looks like I have to use the interface for output too. So problem solved :) . Just requires extra step or 2.

The normal practice is to use the interface for input and output. The interface is effectively a replacement for the Mac's (or any other computer's) sound card.

That means all audio (games, video playing etc) goes through the interface.

Back