Today I found out I could use my cellphone (smartphone) as a midi controller, since my wallet can't afford a real midi controller I would give this a shot. I think I spent around 7-8 hours (I'm not the fastest person) today just figuring how to do this. After several apps for my Android and software for my computer I got it work, with Reaper. Those hours were hours of frustration btw!
I tried searching here on the forum, but without any luck. So I publish this as a guide for people that wanna try something new or use their smartphone as midi controller. I don't know excactly what the specs for the phone are, but my phone is Samsung Galaxy S I9000 with Android 2.3. For reference.
On my phone now I can use transport with rec arm for track 1-12, I can solo/Mute them as well. I can stop, play and rec. I can fade balance, volume on track 1-12, I can bypass FX on tracks 1-12, fade master and track 1-12. You can basicly have over 100 different commands! Use your imagination!
What you need:
-Router or network connection from pc to phone
Here's the guide:
1. Connect the pc through a wireless router.
2. Connect the smartphone to the same network as the wireless router.
(These steps might be done in different ways, but it should be on the same net.)
3. Download Wireless Mixer to your Android from the Market - Wireless Mixer @ Market
4. Download LoopMidi here. and install it on your computer.
5. Download DSMi for Windows here. and install it on your computer.
6. This is optional, but people usually say this "Reboot your computer". I didn't do this, and I got it work.
7. Open LoopMidi, you would get an empty box with a + and a - sign on the bottom. The namebox is what you wanna call the midi ports (I don't really understand all this parts yet), you should make at least two ports. Call one for "unused" or something.
8. Open DSMi, you should mark the "unused" port as input and output. (Don't close any of the programs!)
9. Go to windows firewall and make exceptions for LoopMidi and DSMi.
10. Open Reaper. Go to Options- Preferences- Audio- Midi Devices. If you've done this correct it should be two inputs and two outputs. Just mark the input you made in LoopMidi and right click - click "Enable input" and click "Enable input for control messages".
11. Open Wireless Mixer on your smartphone.
12. Here is the customizing part. If youre familiar with creating macros and custom shortcuts in Reaper you can skip this step, and youre done. In Reaper, on the toolbar you should click "Actions" - "Show action list..". Here you will see a list of commands or actions. If you take for instance "Transport : Play" mark this. Then under the box "Shortcuts for selected action" you click add. Then it is only click play sign on the wireless mixer on your phone and it should pop up a code in the "Shortcut:" box and then you can click ok. There you go. For stop you do the same. Here you should set up a shortcut system that you understand and like. Faders should be marked as "Soft takeover".
Hope this helped someone and that it is understandable. If someone need help or want pictures, don't hesitate! I should try to help as good and fast as I can!