Thread: Changing sample rate / bit depth in Reaper

Armistice is offline Son of Yoda
    Thanks

Changing sample rate / bit depth in Reaper

Sign in to disable this ad
    How to, basically. Had a look around and I'm not sure exactly what to tweak.

I need to record a single microphone continuously over a period of about 12 hours to monitor a noise*. Sound quality isn't an issue. I don't need 24 bit, I don't even need 44.1 khz, I just need a file at the end that's not GB and GB in size.

Thanks in advance....

* I live in a multi-story apartment complex. Late at night and early in the morning I'm kept awake by a plumbing clunk (water hammer) being caused by something in someone else's apartment. After thinking it was a leaking toilet cistern refilling constantly, now I'm not so sure, as I can hear the water inrush before the clunk and it doesn't die down like you'd expect a cistern float valve to do - just shhhhhhhhhh clunk. OVer and over again. And I'm starting to notice a pattern in the frequency of the noise. Means it's more likely a dishwasher or washing machine being operated by one of the anti-social bitches in the apartments on the next floor directly above me.

Eventually I get to sleep, so I don't know if it goes on all night, or stops somewhere and starts again. If I can record the clunk over the course of a night, that will point me in one direction or other. No-one stays up all night running washing machines. How it could be happening every single night defeats me anyway on this line of enquiry, but....

As it only happens late at night / early in the morning and I appear to be the only person who hears it, it's a bit difficult to get a plumber around when it's happening, let alone a diagnosis and fix.

So you can see, I'm just recording a transient essentially, to see when it's happening, so low-fi is fine...

Grrrrr.

:tired and grumpy smiley:
    Support your local songster.... The Jongleurs "Absence" now on CDBaby. Baby.

dug dog is offline New Member
    Thanks
    If you open Project Settings and then select the Media tab you can choose to record using something other than WAV format. If you have the LAME MP3 encoder installed, that would probably be the best bet for a small file size. You can select the bit rate and 128 would probably be fine.

Armistice is offline Son of Yoda
    Thanks
    Thanks dug... I'll have a look later tonight when I get home.

Cheers
    Support your local songster.... The Jongleurs "Absence" now on CDBaby. Baby.

Thread Information