Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1 VST Host Track, Multiple Instruments, Multiple Tracks

jiff 41 is offline An Ex Tractor Fan
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I also let reaper set up the tracks & then delete The Ones I don't want! Sweet
    I started out with nothing, & i've still got most of it left seasick steve

Damonthenomad is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Armistice View Post
    It does. This is exactly what I do with Reaper / Addictive drums. You put the MIDI track on a single track and there are individual AUDIO tracks for each of the 16 drum channels. You don't need anything but a single MIDI track for drums because that's all your plugin's going to give you anyway. You just need the individual audio tracks.

No idea how to do that with Kontakt - but it's not a Reaper issue, it's a Kontakt issue. How are you adding the VST? Using "Add virtual instrument to new track" from the menu? That should activate everything for you and create all the tracks you need automatically. Does for me with Addictive.

Once that's set up, THEN you worry about creating MIDI programming on the MIDI track...
    I GOT IT TO WORK!!!! That's the good part. The bad part is, I tried to duplicate the process to see if I remembered exactly what I did, and I couldn't get it to work a second time. The other (semi) good part: I saved the file that did work, and made a template out of it, so I can just call that one up anytime I need the kit.

I kind of did what you were suggesting. If I remember correctly, I created a new track to serve as the host for Kontakt. In the FX window in Reaper, I selected "Build multichannel routing for output of selected FX" under options. I got a box of dialog like this:

kontakt routing new.png

Except somehow, it knew the names of the tracks in Kontakt, and where it says "Kt. st. 1, Kt. st. 2, Kt. st. 3" etc, above, it instead created track titles that corresponded with those names ("Stereo 1/2->New track 2 "Kt. Kick," Stereo 3/4->New track 3 "Kt. Snares,"...)

This was the only instance so far where the whole kit worked without any issues. Now, every time I try to duplicate this process, I get the above image's results, and there are usually issues with kit not working 100% (for some reason, I get sound from every track of the kit in Kontakt except the kick...). Idk...it's weird. Probably a user error though, so if anyone can help me figure this one out, that would be greatly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Damonthenomad View Post
    Here's what I'm trying to do, and problems that I'm encountering so far. I want to use a setup with Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra/sfz player. I'm trying to create a full virtual symphonic orchestra (placement, panning, levels, etc) with SSO on 1 track as a host. So I created the host track, and opened up several instances of sfz player (one for each type of instrument in the orchestra) in the track. From there, I can't figure out a way to output each instrument from the host track to it's own channel, and then "receive" that channel on the respective instrument track. I read a thread someone posted about this same issue (can't link since I'm new), but it didn't seem like he got the answer he was hoping for. From what I understand, it seems to indicate a problem with SSO/sfz, not Reaper?
    Figured this one out, too. Actually, by following what I did with Kontakt essentially. I decided to type up step by step instructions so anyone else that wanted to do this and was having the same issue will have the answer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    How To Create an Orchestra using SFZ/SSO, the CPU-Friendly Way:

Step 1: Insert a new track. This will be the host track for the vst/instrument.

Step 2: Load "sfz player" vst in FX and select desired SSO instrument (ex: "1st Violins
    Sustain").

Step 3: Select the "Plug-in Pin Connector" tab (should say "2 out" by default) in the FX window, and click the + button in the bottom left corner
    until you have your desired number of outs. The number of outs should be 2X the number of instances (of the host instrument) you want.
    For example, if I want 12 "1st Violins Sustain" in my orchestra, I need 24 channels total. Channel 1-out/channel 2-out is selected by
    default, so continue this alternating pattern (3-out/4-out, 5-out/6-out, etc.) until all of the channels are routed. Close the FX window.

Step 4: In the Track Control Panel, right click and select "Insert multiple tracks." Under "Insert how many tracks," input the number of instances you
    want, and type the name of the instrument (i.e. "1st Violins Sustain") in the "Name" section. Reaper will automatically number each of the
    tracks in numerical order when they are created.

Step 5: Select I/O on the host track. The "Track channels" and "Parent channels" tabs should reflect the number of outs created in Step 3. Send
    the host track to all of the "instance" tracks created in Step 4. The first instance track (ex: 1st Violins Sustain 1) should already be routed
    to Stereo Source 1/2 under the Audio tab. Route the other instance tracks accordingly (1st Violins Sustain 2: Audio:3/4=>1/2, 1st Violins
    Sustain 3: Audio:5/6=>1/2, so on and so forth) until all are routed. Close the I/O Routing window.

Step 6: Create a bus track, and set it to receive all of the instance tracks (NOT THE HOST TRACK!). No routing adjustments are needed here. This
    step is absolutely necessary. Without it, adjusting the fader on each of the instance tracks will not change the volume in the mix at all!

FINAL STEP: Make sure "Master/Parent send" is disabled on ALL TRACKS (instance tracks, bus) except for the Host track. Otherwise, the overall
    level of the instruments (from each host) will be doubled.

Repeat all of these steps for each new orchestra instrument you want to add.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A lot of this information, like the routing steps, might be common sense for many people on this forum, but I just wanted to type this up in plain English so any newbie like me could understand things easily (hopefully). I might not have even done things "correctly" for all I know. That's part of why I'm posting my discovery and methods here.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or questions, are most definitely welcome

EDIT: Last important thing of note, ALL of the MIDI data for each instrument needs to be on the "Host" track for that instrument, otherwise, it won't play in any of the instances.

...And after 4 edits to this post, hopefully that's it!
    Last edited by Damonthenomad; 09-08-2013 at 10:39.
    "Live by the sword, die by the sword."

jiff 41 is offline An Ex Tractor Fan
    I started out with nothing, & i've still got most of it left seasick steve

Damonthenomad is offline New Member
    Nice! I'll definitely give it a try! Thanks, Jiff
    "Live by the sword, die by the sword."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information