Upgrading from AA 1.0

werewolf831

Hello, long time since I've been in the forums here!

Been using AA 1.0 ever since it first changed from CEP. I remeber reading about everyones horror stories back when the first updates came out. Me not having much patienece for software update bugs, I never upgraded. I've had the itch lately to experiment with some VST plugins, so I was wondering if there is still anyway to upgrade from v1.0 to version 2 or 3, and if so, what kind of issues might I be looking at, ie. old sessions not working, losing presets, etc. Haven't been able to find an answer here or at the Adobe website.

Thanks all!

AFAIK there's no "financial" upgrade path--Adobe limit the upgrade discounts to a couple of versions back only and you've missed a bunch. It's too bad you didn't upgrade from AA1.0 to AA3 when you could Audition 3 was/is a bit of a classic--very stable and lots of great features. Avoid Audition 2 though...a bit of a dog.

If you can find a copy of AA3 somewhere to buy, you shouldn't have much trouble with compatibility in the "upwards" direction--using AA3 sessions on your older software can throw up problems because version 3 has lots of new features not supported in the earlier version. Note that the Adobe verification servers no longer work for AA3...but there's an official download from Adobe to bypass this if you have a valid, purchased copy.

Where you'll run into much bigger issues will be the more recent versions from Audition CS5.5 (basically version 4 but they changed the number to match the Creative Suite) they completely re-wrote the software for Mac OS compatibility--this includes a change to the session files. There was a conversion utility written by SuiteSpot but last I heard he's not providing it for free anymore.

CS5.5 is lacking a lot of the features that were in AA3. CS6 is much better and, I believe, still available to purchase. The newest version, Audition CC is excellent--but only available for rent as part of Adobe's Creative Cloud model.

Sorry it's so complicated...

You can still find AA2 on the used market... eBay, Craigslist, etc. I don't care for AA3 and above. The software became a whole different animal. AA1.5 will get you in the VST door and that's probably my favorite version overall. I was using Cool Edit starting with 1.2 and I could still do most of what I need with that. IMO CE 2.1 is a better choice than AA1.0. I thought AA2 was fine, but it was starting to get bloated at that point and needed some fixes. Now AA is ridiculously bloated, so nothing 3 or above is an option for me. And I won't do the subscription based stuff so they've lost me as a costumer anyway for new releases. I own a copy of AA3, but I'm happily using AA1.5 on Win XP at present. As far as my experience everything from AA1.0 will port over to 1.5 and 2.0 with no problem. I'm not sure about AA1.0 to AA3.0. I didn't like it enough to mess with it much.

CAUTION!!!: There are several sellers on eBay selling pirated copies of AA1.5. It's all the same person or group with several different eBay accounts, but you can tell what to avoid by noting they are all located in Miami, Florida and the auctions all start at $50.00 with buy-it-now of $65.00. Avoid them like the plague! They make very convincing looking copies, but they are burned CD's not original and contain malware.

Audition 1.0 was Cool Edit Pro 2.1 with a new splash screen and the beta CD burner taken out. Otherwise it was identical to CEP2.1.

I'm going to have to totally disagree with Beck on AA2. It was an unstable dog of a piece of software and even the developers at Adobe acknowledge that. If you can find AA2.1 that got some bug fixes to make it usable but I wouldn't touch the basic AA2.0 with a barge pole.

To repeat what I said, porting UPWARDS from AA1.0 to a higher version should be fine; their can be problems going the other way simply because successive releases added features not available in the earlier stuff. The big problem happens when you get to AA CS5.5 and above since the whole session file format changed (in fact becoming .sesx).

Despite what Beck says, Audition 3 and 3.01 was probably the best release ever--more features (including a bit of MIDI) but still familiar enough that I had no problem adapting. The big changes set in with the move to CS5.5 and Mac compatibility.

(User since Cool Edit 96 with every version except CS5.5.)

Audition 1.0 was Cool Edit Pro 2.1 with a new splash screen and the beta CD burner taken out. Otherwise it was identical to CEP2.1.

Common misconception, so I'm not surprised when I hear people repeat it. Yes it was basically the same but not identical. It was comparatively bloated and buggy. Adobe added enough to it to make it problematic compared to CEP2.1. If it were completely the same the file size would not be so much bigger in AA1.0 and it would not be buggier than CEP2.1, but it is. And the second beta CD burner in 2.1 works great, so that alone is worth skipping AA1.0.

You already offered your opinion. I was not countering yours, but simply offering mine. We can do this all fucking day! Ok your turn. Jesus!!!

Not a misconception, Beck. Fact. Adobe changed nothing other than the splash screen and dropping the CD burner (which was a beta anyhow) between CEP 2.1 and AA 1.0. The changes (what you call bloat) came in later versions.

Thanks fellas for both your input. Never thought of hunting down a used copy of AA3. I imagine that may a be long drawn out task, but I may give that a try. If that doesn't work I'll just hold on to AA1 since I know it well and can still get a lot done with it, and then probably start learning a new program like Reaper, or maybe jump into the Pro Tools world.

If you like the Audition interface you'll hate the Protools one (at least that's how I found it). By all means try a demo but I suspect you'll find Reaper a bit more user friendly, particularly for an Audition user.

Not a misconception, Beck. Fact. Adobe changed nothing other than the splash screen and dropping the CD burner (which was a beta anyhow) between CEP 2.1 and AA 1.0.

PROVE IT!!!

Give your best argument as to why you believe these two programs are identical, and I'll show you point-by-point what you've overlooked and what you're unaware of.

I don't "believe" they're identical, I know it. I've owned both (and if I wanted to dig through boxes in the garage could find the disks).

As noted before, the only two noticeable differences were the splash screen and the deletion of the Syntrillium beta version of a CD burner. There were also a couple of very minor bug fixes that 99.9 percent of users would never notice--they were that minor.

From the Wiki article on Audition:

Adobe Audition was released on 18 August 2003. It had bug fixes but no new features, and was essentially a more polished Cool Edit Pro 2.1 under a different name. Adobe then released Audition v1.5 in May 2004; major improvements over v1 included pitch correction, frequency space editing, a CD project view, basic video editing and integration with Adobe Premiere, as well as several other enhancements.

Most important, check the sizes of the two pieces of software--virtually identical and certainly not different enough to infer "bloating" or new features.

However, why the hell are we arguing about features in a piece of software 11 years and 8 versions old--that you can only buy on the second hand or "cracked" market. Do you spend all your life in the past wearing your rose-tinted spectacles?

Actually, an important point is that the oldest version you can register online is 3.0 (and that's with a generic registration you can get from Adobe since they no longer support customer specific ones). If you buy anything older than that, make darn sure you can run it.

Personally, I recommend version 3.0 as being a "classic" before they re-wrote everything to run on Macs. Even the most recent (CC) version lacks some of the AA3.0 features.

I don't "believe" they're identical, I know it. I've owned both (and if I wanted to dig through boxes in the garage could find the disks).

As noted before, the only two noticeable differences were the splash screen and the deletion of the Syntrillium beta version of a CD burner. There were also a couple of very minor bug fixes that 99.9 percent of users would never notice--they were that minor.

From the Wiki article on Audition:

Most important, check the sizes of the two pieces of software--virtually identical and certainly not different enough to infer "bloating" or new features.

I don't see you offering anything but more baseless assertion. It's one thing to feel sure, as I'm sure you do, but its another to offer evidence. I still do own both. I don't have to go digging. The actual size and the running memory use of Adobe Audition are substantially larger. A new splash screen and elimination of a plugin cannot account for that. Also, neither of the syntrillium beta CD burners will run on AA1.0. I still have those too. AA1.0 did not fix any bugs, but rather introduced bugs that weren't in CEP2.x. The OP appears to remember that as well. It was in all the music mags at the time.

Wiki? are you serious? LOL Wiki is part of what's wrong with these forums and the web in general. That's the last source I would use for anything. It is so rife with errors, but many people interact on these forums on a wiki level. It dumbs these forums down. I see this all the time. someone doesn't know the answer experientially so they google it, and wiki is one of the first, if not the first results. Anyone can do that. The OP can do that.

However, why the hell are we arguing about features in a piece of software 11 years and 8 versions old--that you can only buy on the second hand or "cracked" market. Do you spend all your life in the past wearing your rose-tinted spectacles?

For one, the person who started this thread asked about older versions. How's that for reason enough? It doesn't matter how old something is. AA3.0 is over six years old. Only a true amateur would be moved along by marketing to whatever is, "Current." people are told what is current by other people who have financial motives for keeping everyone, "Current." You have it the other way around. In fact current does not mean better. It could simply mean features that someone does not want or need. It could also mean inferior. I've spoken a lot before about how manufacturers and vendors see music and recording. It is all about selling new things whether they're needed or not. Something newer might be better, but it might not.

There's a lot of social pressure to remain current, especially as one gets older. I don't feel that pressure. I use what works, not what all the lemmings are running after.

You can't register AA3.0 online either. They provided a generic number that will work offline in case owners lost the number they had.

And when it comes to Audition, as I said, its all about old versions now because anyone with half a brain isn't going along with prescription software. New Adobe is no longer an option for most of us for that reason alone.

Personally, I recommend version 3.0 as being a "classic" before they re-wrote everything to run on Macs. Even the most recent (CC) version lacks some of the AA3.0 features.

I personally recommend AA1.5.

Ok, its your turn now to recommend AA3.0. But don't forget to answer my earlier question with something better than wiki. I'm still waiting for something more in general from what you said the first time.

I’ve been watching this thread with a little interest and I thought I’d throw in my two bobs worth…..

Here are a couple of facts:-
1. Bobbsy is correct in saying “Not a misconception, Beck. Fact. Adobe changed nothing other than the splash screen and dropping the CD burner (which was a beta anyhow) between CEP 2.1 and AA 1.0.”
I have spoken to the Audition developers via email and in person at NAB 2012 and they have pretty much said the same thing.
So if it is a misconception then it is pretty much universal.
2. The guy who actually wrote CEP put out a number of versions that Adobe was not even aware of eg 2.1d and even one off versions for particular user(s).
3. “If it were completely the same the file size would not be so much bigger in AA1.0”
If you recompile the same code with a different compiler or a different version of the same compiler then that will do exactly the same thing so that really is no indicator
4. As I recall, in terms of what was stored in the ses file "Audition 1.0" and "Cool Edit Pro 2.1" were identical and while this does not prove that the 2 apps operate identically clearly nothing new was added that was stored

I do have to agree with Bobbsy (and this is only my opinion and has as much weight as anyone else’s) in that I had no trouble with Au3 – mind you I had no trouble with any version of CEP or Au.
I loved Au1.5 but when I actually had to use it after many years I found that it runs like a dog compared with CS5.5, CS6 or CC and quite frankly I prefer to remember how good it was rather than actually use it and I certainly can’t do without simple things like x-fades these days LOL

At the end of the day none of this matters at all if someone is happy using say CEP 2000 or CC then good luck to them I say and as far as arguing about differences in one version of CEP/Audition to another just remember that there were more versions of CEP2.1 than most users, Adobe or probably even Robert Ellison and David Johnston realise – I know because I’ve seen most of them

Anyway just saying....

Beck,

This is getting pointless. If you have any evidence that:

It was comparatively bloated and buggy. Adobe added enough to it to make it problematic compared to CEP2.1.

...then please provide evidence and tell us what was added. Just be aware that you'll be calling the actual developers at Adobe liars because they, from my memory, actually posted that it was the same software, both in the Adobe U2U forums and also on the independently run "Audiomasters" forum about Audition. As I say, this was more than ten years ago so my chances of finding those posts are nil but they did exist.

Frankly, it's not up to me to prove anything to you. Believe what you want--and if you're so convinced that Adobe made CEP/Audition "bloated and buggy" in the transition to AA1.0 then pray tell us what was added and changed. Otherwise you're just trolling for trolling sake and I'm no longer interested in massaging your ego.

I have to agree with Runaway that the important thing is to use what software you're happy and comfortable with. Version 1 and 1.5 were both good and reliable but, for me, a compelling reason to move farther on is that ASIO support was only added with AA2.0 and ASIO is pretty much a necessity these days. Why not AA2.0? It WAS somewhat buggy (even the developers acknowledge this) but all the issues were resolved with AA3.0/3.01.

Beyond this, I wouldn't personally touch CS5.5--it was the first version rewritten from the ground up to be Mac compatible and, due to time pressure, lacks a lot of features that were in AA3.0. Version CS6 is much better (and still available for sale) but still lacks some features people got used to in AA3.0. Audition CC is better again but: A, still lacks some stuff they had in version 3.0 years ago, B, can only be rented as part of the Creative Cloud, not licensed in perpetuity, and C, While I love some of the features, I do think it's become over-complex and too much aimed at the video post market.

You pays your money and takes you chances.

Anyhow, unless you have anything new to say Beck, I'm outta here.

Back