View Poll Results: Cool Edit Pro 2.0 vs Adobe Audition1.5

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • Adobe Audition 1.5 - In with the new.

77 60.63%
  • Cool Edit Pro 2.0 - I fear change.

33 25.98%
  • It doesn't really matter, it's all the same.

17 13.39%
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cool Edit Pro 2.0 vs Adobe Audition 1.5

STAT1STICK is offline Dedicated Member
    Thanks

Cool Edit Pro 2.0 vs Adobe Audition 1.5

Sign in to disable this ad
    Right now, I'm kinda torn. Audition has a few new features that are neat but they're not anything that couldn't live without. CEP is my rock. I've spent some good years with it. I know that they're pretty much the same but sometimes those subtle differences can make for a bad experience.

For instance: if you want to destroy a track in CEP, you get a single message that asks if you are sure you want to do it. In Audition, you get two messages... I know it's not that big of a deal but it can get annoying from time to time. Audition offers VST support but CEP (stand alone) doesn't. Audition has a few more effects that CEP didn't but I don't think that they're enough to sell the product.

I do have to say that Audition is a bit more stable than CEP but not by much.

What do you think?

lpdeluxe is offline The Precision Bass Guy
    Thanks
    The upgrade was worth it, just for the single click remover tool. This is the only way I have found to remove finger squeaks from acoustic guitar tracks.

Second would be integration with an external controller. Although this was implemented in CEP 2.1, my computer suffered a catastrophic power failure that wiped out everything...and the only software I hadn't saved a copy of was the 2.1 upgrade. 2.0 would work with the Red Rover (and I had one) but to go from that to a Tascam US428 was a major deal, and required 2.1. I now use Adobe Audition 1.5 with a Mackie Control Universal, and it would be very difficult to go back to using a mouse/keyboard for mixing again. If all you record is guitar/vocal, probably it wouldn't be that big a deal, but with multitracks with alternate takes, the mouse gets old really quickly.

There are other conveniences and changes that I don't use much, but I like having access to the parametric EQ from Multitrack View. And, in my experience, AA 1.5 has been a LOT more stable than CEP 2.0...but then I typically run a fair number of tracks on each song.
    "Digo: 'paciencia, y barajar.'" -- Don Quijote de la Mancha, Part II, Chapter 23

ThaArtist is offline Dedicated Member
    Thanks
    STAT1STICK,

My reply is that 1.5 DOES have features that you can't live without. I used cool edit pro 2000 (a tiny bit) and audition 1 (A lot)...

Once I got 1.5 I was like WHOA... i can create things faster with some of the new features and tools. Looping samples and audio tracks is so simple with 1.5 which I dont think audition 1 or cool edit supports?

Plus the new time expansion tool, I couldnt live without. As long as you don't expand a small sample 200%+ it sounds really good still...

Again, I use it mainly for making beats right now but I love audition 1.5 I've noticed a lot of things in it that I use and do that Audition 1 didn't/doesn't have. And it makes work that much faster.

Not to mention VST Plug In support! Integrated Cd burning right in the program! Thats ill!!

And the volume and pan envelopes! DOPE! 1.5 is definitely better then any version of cool edit pro or the version 1 of audition..

I'm sure you looked at the feature list at adobes site, but if not. Check it out. http://www.adobe.com/products/audition/newfeatures.html

jarmugar is offline Newbie
    Thanks

How do you connect the Mackii

How do you use the mackii with Adobe audition, what I mean is how to you connect it to your computer?

ThaArtist is offline Dedicated Member
    Thanks
    You set it up in the device manager...

From adobes site:
    Hardware controller support
    Remotely access hundreds of commands with keyboard shortcuts or via MIDI triggers. Plus, Adobe Audition supports popular controllers such as the Mackie Control, Tascam US-428, and Event EZbus.

I just wish you could make midi tracks with Audition.

Thanks
    The Mackie Control Universal uses MIDI to control Adobe Audition, so you need MIDI ports on your computer, and a pair of MIDI cables. Edirol makes several MIDI/USB devices that you can plug into a USB port on the computer. Many sound cards and interfaces include MIDI ports, so that should not be a problem.

The Mackie has to be version 2.1.2 to work with Audition. Mackie has a download for it at their website, with a Readme file that tells you how to configure the Control for upgrading. Basically, you play a MIDI file into the Control to upgrade the firmware, and this is a problem because Audition won't play the MIDI file! So you use Windows Media Player instead, which works fine, as long as you have selected the correct ports for it in Start/Control Panel/Sounds and.../Audio (MIDI out).

Once the firmware is the right version, go to Audition/Options/Device Settings and select the Mackie in the "External Controllers" tab. Click on "Configure" and then "OK." Then go back into Options/Device Settings/MIDI and select the MIDI ports you have on your computer as the I/O (you need both, since the Mackie and the software talk to each other).

When you get ready to record, turn on the Mackie before you start up Audition, so that Audition will recognize that it's there.

I've been using the Mackie and it's great. Very well made, good looking (for what that's worth) and intuitively laid out, with the help of the Lexan overlay (which is still labeled "Syntrillium Cool Edit Pro"). I went from a Syntrillium Red Rover to Tascam US428 to Mackie, and it was a big step up each time.

Now if only Adobe would allow you write volume/pan envelopes from the Mackie....
    "Digo: 'paciencia, y barajar.'" -- Don Quijote de la Mancha, Part II, Chapter 23

mixmkr is offline we don't need rest!!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lpdeluxe
    Now if only Adobe would allow you write volume/pan envelopes from the Mackie....
    so....what do you use if for specifically? Don't be afraid to be too detailed!

I use AA 1.5 btw too.

Thanks

Talking so....what do you use if for specifically?

I use it to avoid using the mouse/keyboard in both recording and mixing. The Mackie won't do everything, but let me give you two words for "doing everything:" **Microsoft Office**. Believe it or not, I expect to use some brain power/effort to record and mix a song. It's nice to have a device that handles the repetitive tasks, like muting a track during playback, or setting basic level/pan positions, but I don't worry if it doesn't do everything. That's what I'm there for. If it still takes a mouse to do certain things, OK, it takes a mouse.

Seriously, I am dubious about all-in-one solutions, owing to my perception that the capabilities of such devices tend to reflect the limited imaginations of the designers.

I have a stick-shift car, so that ought to tell you where I'm coming from.

cubanorocker316 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

???

cool edit pro is adobe audition

sloom is offline Dedicated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cubanorocker316
    cool edit pro is adobe audition
    We know that they're similar, but Adobe is the 'spruced-up', newer version, with a few new features. Right- I mean, just to keep the record straight.

I suppose they are 'effectively' the 'same'... mostly.

Call me a nitpicker.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information