Altering volume levels of all tracks simultaneously

downonthestreet

I've been experimenting with recording stuff in the red, peaking in the red, peaking just outside the red etc, and have ended up with most of my current crop of songs being more in the red than out of it. It sounds upfront and loud on CD, and that's what I wanted, no pops or audible distortion (apart from the guitars, which are all very distorted by design), no clipping that I can discern. However, I am aware that this recording in the red stuff will draw frowns from most, and probably for good reason with most types of music.

1. It's just occurred to me that CEP has no equlivalent of a master volume control as on an analogue multitrack recorder, whereby you can lower the overall vol of all tracks simultaneously - just in case barbarians like me wish to pull back their track vols to civilised levels that don't trigger the red without having to alter the mix by pulling back the volume level of each track that makes up the song. Or am I missing something here - is there some 'master vol' facility within CEP that I'm unaware of?

2. Another related query. If I did want to pull back my volume levels and there is, indeed, no master vol control in CEP, does each "notch" have an equal value in real listening volume terms? What I mean is, say I have a mix I like and don't want to alter it, but do want to bring the volume level down of the whole mix, can I simply reduce each track by the same amount to lower the overall song vol while keeping the mix the same, or is there a difference between taking back the vol of a track at, say, vol 0 to -0.3, and taking another at -1.8 to -2.2? In both cases, they are reduced by one minimum gradation, but are they both reduced by the same amount in real listening volume terms, so that the mix remains exactly the same (albeit at a lower overall volume)?

Sorry - I lack the terminological knowledge to express myself any more clearly. Hope the query is understandable.

I use Audtion 1.5, but I'd say it's still there. Go to Window>Mixer or use the Hotkey - ALT+2. Hope this works for you.

There's a master fader in the top left corner in multitrack view of Cep 1.x. I don't have that installed, so I'm trying to remember... I think you have to right click the box next to Master to bring up the fader, but you can also type the numbers right in the box without a fader.

In Cep 2, it was changed to a dockable window that you have to make visible. That is great because you can dock it to be a vertical fader on the right of the multitrack view kinda like where a mixer would be. This is in the View menu. Pull down View, click "Show Mixers Window". You can drag that and dock it so it's not floating over the tracks. I know it looks huge when you first see it, but it reduces down and only shows the master fader if you dock it vertical. You can move that level meter into a vertical dock right next to it also.

Back