Wireless Remote Control of Sonar

Middleman

Professional Amateur
Anyone see Rip Rowan's article over at prorec.com regarding using a laptop wirelessly to remote control another WinXP Pro desktop machine running Sonar.

This allows you to put your noisy computer in another room and, using the terminal services feature of Windows, use an inexpensive laptop as a remote control.

You do need to have two wireless cards but wow, what a concept. Perfect for the musician/engineer trying to record and perform. He talks about running a Sonar session while playing the drums.

Basically you see the Sonar screen on the laptop but the session is actually running on the Desktop machine. Perfect for sticking a noisy P4 in a closet to make things quiet.

I do this. My studio PC runs Windows XP, and I've installed the Microsoft Remote Desktop client on my Win98 laptop. So now when I'm not in the "control room", I control Sonar via my laptop over the LAN. :)

XP already has something called remote assistance built in. You can use it across the internet or home network. Set your recording machine as the "novice" and your laptop as "expert".

On the expert machine you can completely control the novice. You see the same screen and everything. No additional software needed.

I haven't used it locally in awhile but use it to help clients (over the internet) all the time. I have configured sonar from afar several times. Non-recording types just don't understand midi and audio are different.

Cheers, BB

Alright, how can I do this? The other was looking pretty foreign to me...though I didn't read too thoroughly. I'd love this functionality...

still doesn't change the fact that I need a wireless card for the desktop. Already have one for the laptop. Any way to do this with other connector cords, i.e. NOT wireless? So, maybe just one serial connection or something...or is that a stupid question.

Thanks,
Kirstin

Wireless is just a network so if you have a hard wired network this will work across the house too. I may even put my P4 in the garage to get away from the noise.

Just kidding, the garage is too dusty. But a closet would work.

Back