Volume Changes in wav tracks

ido1957

9K Gold Member
Can anyone tell me how I can control the volume on a .wav track so that it is louder in some spots than in others. Right now in Cakewalk 9.0 I have a volume setting to the left of the track that goes to 127. But I would like to vary the level throughout the wav file track, sometimes louder, sometimes softer. I'm used to mixing on a board so this is all new to me.
If you could tell me how it works for Cakewalk 9.0 or Sonar 7.0 (for future reference) that would be great.

I have Sound Forge (2 track) which you can highlight areas on a wav and change the volume. I'm just not seeing that in Cakewalk....

Ido,
If you right click on the fader & select edit automation data you'll find the fader/vol automation screen comes up & you can then mark in vol changes as you need them. You can then draw in the changes using the pen option in the top right of the box.
I'll drop a screen dump in a minute or two.

Gerry,
Here's a shot of your guitar solo vol in ATB. The same dialogue box has a menu for panning, send/return etc if you look at the top of it where it says Track Volume.
If you require more vol than this can give you go back to the audio screen (not the console), click the number of the track until it highlights(goes black?) and then go to edit, audio 3db louder & this will give you a boost across the selected track.

Attachments

• automated vol.jpg
    automated vol.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 49
Gerry,
Here's a shot of your guitar solo vol in ATB. The same dialogue box has a menu for panning, send/return etc if you look at the top of it where it says Track Volume.
If you require more vol than this can give you go back to the audio screen (not the console), click the number of the track until it highlights(goes black?) and then go to edit, audio 3db louder & this will give you a boost across the selected track.

Thanks Ray :D - I found that screen and the pencil tool. I'll play around with that and see if I can get the volume changes to work for me....

Best way to do it is with Volume envelopes. You can put an envelope on a track which is essentially a straight horizontal line running the length of the track representing the volume level. When you first insert the envelope, the line will be at whatever the current volume level of the track is.

Once you have the envelope, double clicking on the line will insert a node (i.e., a change point). That will allow you to drag "sections" of the line up and down, which will increase or decrease the volume accordingly.

I don't recall the menu structure in PA9, but if you check the help file for volume envelopes, it should guide you pretty well.

I don't think so. If I recall, the volume levels for audio in PA9 ran from 1-127, not in db's like Sonar.

Right click on the wave file select "envelope" then "volume" you`ll see a colored line across the track.double Click on the colored line & you`ll see a dot appear ( called a "node"). Click two nodes close together on each side of the portion where you want to adjust volume then envelope bar up or down to adjust the volume. Going to the help section & looking at what else envelopes can do is also a good idea....your probably best off using compression on the track though,if you don`t know how to do this yet right click in the fx bin & select a compression plug-in from ultrafunk sonitus category(try some of the presets to get started). hope that helps ;)

Back