Thread: sonar recording problem

Waysid is offline Junior Member

sonar recording problem

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi,

I'm having a problem with Sonar 1.3 and I'm wondering if anyone has any insight. I just bought and installed SONAR, I was previously using GuitarStudio2. It seems like it should be a common problem but I've searched the bbs and can't really find a solution I haven't tried. Ok here's the problem:

When I record an audio track in sonar the resulting wav has a bunch of semi-rythmical clicks and pops

Here's my setup
    PentiumIII 733
    Sound Blaster Live plat.
    256MB RAM
    Win 98
    7200 harddrive

I am fairly experienced with computer recording so here is all the info I have been able to figure out:

- its not a metronome ;-)

- the audio is not clipping - resulting wav doesn't have any ugly spikes etc. - soft musical passages cause same problem

- I have tried updating SB drivers and tried using APS live drivers

- previously recorded wavs play back with no problems - even 16 at once with a number of effects

- the dropout light doesn't go on, CPU and disk meters don't even register 5%

- GuitarStudio 2 didn't have this problem

- recording (with all the same external settings) in Sound Forge XP works fine

- I have tried various sound sources, guitar straight in, cd player straight in - all through the line in.

So....if anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate the help...needless to say my initial joy of getting SONAR is wearing off.

Chris

Waysid is offline Junior Member
    Hmmm..some curious new info.

I actually have two drives: a 5400 with Sonar and a 7200 drive I use for audio data. When I point SONAR at the 7200 I get the problem metioned above. When I use a data directory on my C: drive (5400) - no pops or clicks on my recording. But....I have a song I recorded in GuitarStudio with over 16 tracks that plays back perectly on the D drive (low disk %) that I am pretty sure would tax the C drive.

The 7200 is attached to a Promise ATA100 hard drive controller if that makes a difference.

Any thoughts based on this new info?

SANMAN is offline Newbie

Unhappy

Chris,
    You're not alone. I've been using SONAR-XL version 1.3 on the following platform:
    Pentium 4 1.5 Ghz
    512 MB Ram
    Soundblaster Audigy
    (2) hard drives @7200rpm
    Windows 2000

Things were working fine until about 1 week ago. I changed nothing from the Hardware perspective, but I did install some critical updates from Microsoft's support site.

Anyway, newly recorded wav files have noticible pops and clicks, where ones I recorded two weeks ago were fine. Those projects I created as bundled files two weeks ago can be opened and exported with no pops or clicks but, if I re-record a new audio track - wham, the pops and clicks are there. Soft or loud passages, same problem.

Mark...
    Mark

SANMAN is offline Newbie

Unhappy

Chris,
    You're not alone. I've been using SONAR-XL version 1.3 on the following platform:
    Pentium 4 1.5 Ghz
    512 MB Ram
    Soundblaster Audigy
    (2) hard drives @7200rpm
    Windows 2000

Things were working fine until about 1 week ago. I changed nothing from the Hardware perspective, but I did install some critical updates from Microsoft's support site.

Anyway, newly recorded wav files have noticible pops and clicks, where ones I recorded two weeks ago were fine. Those projects I created as bundled files two weeks ago can be opened and exported with no pops or clicks but, if I re-record a new audio track - wham, the pops and clicks are there. Soft or loud passages, same problem.

Mark...
    Mark

Thread Information