Sonar Issues

Bradders1975

Hello everyone,

I am a usually reasonably happy Sonar / PC user but I am having an issue with recording at the moment. I'll tray and be as detailed as possible and have picked a couple of things up from searching other threads but though someone here might have gone through something similar.

The system

Intel Quad Core 800 Q6600
4gb DDR2 Ram
Windows 7 x64
Sonar X3 Producer
Zoom R24 USB interface
NI Komplete 9
Keystation USB k/board

I recorded this track about a month ago with virtually no crackle/pop dropouts. . Ended up around 25 tracks with various soft synths and fx plugs across every track as well as the master.

I have recently started a couple of new projects and now I am having real trouble getting past 5 tracks without significant audio issues. I have the asio latency set at 1024 and the record / play buffers set to the same just to get the project to play back. Any lower and there is so much crackling and popping it's unlistenable. It got to the point where i'd played with the settings so much that I thought to hell with it and did a clean install of windows and all of the software. Same issue. All drivers are up to date and I've updated to Sonar X3e. Thinking now that it's probably hardware related but i did notice one thing. If I run another window - explorer for example - the pops are noticible when I move a toolbar or resize a window. So maybe the graphics driver is interfering all of a sudden for some reason.

Any thoughts?

yeah i have had a look at that. changing to 2 made the issue worse but changing to 0 seemed to be of benefit.

---------- Update ----------

yeah, i am freezing the VSTs now but i didn't have to before. just bummed that it was working fine and now isn't and I suspect I may have to swap some RAM out.

I am not an expert, believe me, but what I have learned is that adjusting latency in software has a trade-off, no matter how fast the chip or how many cores you have. When you try to adjust toward near zero latency, you are essentially shortening the time to get all information played. I like to think in terms of bandwidth.

Anyway, I usually record real instruments, like guitars and my voice. More recently, my Kat percussion pad. Anything and everything jacked into my m-audio interface, which I really like. I won't get another unless I change to firewire. Anyway, m-audio has a pan knob between live input (mic, line - in from my Roland GS-6 effects unit through which I usually play my Flying V) and usb port. Essentially, a real time mix of play back and live input.

Even so, there will still be some latency on later recorded tracks. So, what I do is tempo adjust (without raising pitch) about .01 percent and time shift the track to line up. I never mess with the latency settings in software. Then, again, I have not recorded more than 4 tracks and may have 8 total with dupe tracks and one-off bits.

But my opinion is certainly limited because I am not doing a bunch of sequenced and midi stuff. I'm kinda old school, beating on stuff and twanging strings.

When I'm tracking, I disable ALL Fx (Shortcut 'E'), set it to the lowest latency and record.

When it's time to MIX, I jack my latency all the way up (because at this point it's irrelevant)

If I need to overdub anything having done a partial mix then I do the same as in the first sentence.

Back