Override Automation

I apologize if this a mixing 101, but is it possible to override automation?
I find that after I get everything automated the way I want and listen to the mix through the limiter, I generally want to make subtle changes to a track volume. However, I can't slide my fader up once I've created some automation, correct?
Does my question come across? Once automation is in place, the fader no longer controls the volume, is that correct? What do I do if I want to nudge the volume of the entire track (automation included) up just a bit? Do I have to edit the automation nodes? I don't want to believe that's true because it's so cumbersome when trying to dial in a mix.
Thanks!

You can turn up the gain knob that is at the top of the channel strip. That will increase the whole track but keep the automation intact.

Before I do any automation's, I save the project so I can go back to an un-molested recording. and that way you can do multiple tries and choose the best one.

Yes you can go in and manually edit the nodes, which fine for a shot segment, but to re-do on many tracks is just a pain in the ass.

I do believe you can undo the automation, and you definitely can immediately after the write by undoing, and I know you can turn it off completely.

This is easy.

Go into Offset mode (Press 'O')
Make whatever changes you want
Press O again to come out of Offset mode (VERY important!!!)

This is easy.

Go into Offset mode (Press 'O')
Make whatever changes you want
Press O again to come out of Offset mode (VERY important!!!)

That's a good way to go - assuming you a) don't forget you've been messing around in this 'hidden mode (my bigest cautioin with it), and b) the change you want has to be good for the whole track.

I'll vote for with the envelope tool, zoom out horizontal as needed to let you grab and adjust as many or few of the nodes and lines as you need, and zoom in vertical (or jump to full screen) to get finer up/down level control if needed.
The only hang up (at least in 8.5- I think this changed in 'X), is avoiding other lines of automation in the track. (In '8 we temporarily hide them). And be aware the value the tool displays is of the spot you grab from. So if it was ‘ -4dB, when you start to drag them all, that value doesn’t actually scale correctly for the amount of drag you do- until you release it. Then you see how much they all actually changed. (Don’t know why that is,
’prolly cause they’re moving a bunch of different ones?) But it works just fine.

Back