Inserting soft synth in Sonar X3

lworthin

Greetings,

I've got a newbie question: If I have one to several MIDI tracks and insert the Cakewalk TTS-1 soft synth in Sonar X3, Sonar inserts 4 new tracks. If I insert Kontakt 5, I get 8 new tracks. Others, I get one track.

My intuition, which is obviously flawed, tells me that if I insert a multi-timbral synth, I should get as many new tracks as there are MIDI tracks. But Cakewalk TTS-1 seems to handle the tracks just fine (I've only done this with 8 or so MIDI tracks) if I just output my MIDI to the TTS-1, and I can see why. But then I can't understand why it puts in 4 soft synth tracks.

OK, I'm starting to confuse myself. In short: How does Sonar decide how many soft synth tracks to insert?

Thank in advance!

Lew

These are synth OUTPUTS, not inputs. On a multi-timbral synth with multiple outputs (like TTS-1) you can specify which patch gets sent to which output. Then you can add audio effects (e.g., reverb) just to those patches on that specific output. It also lets you control the volume levels separately for different patches.

When inserting a soft synth there are check boxes on the insert options for 1) First Synth Audio Output, 2) All synth audio outputs: Stereo, and 3) All Synth Audio Outputs: Mono.

Insert the Session Drummer synth with All Synth Audio Outputs: mono selected. This will insert a mono audio track for each individual drum in the kit. Doing this should give you a good idea of what this feature is and how to use it.

Glen

These are synth OUTPUTS, not inputs. On a multi-timbral synth with multiple outputs (like TTS-1) you can specify which patch gets sent to which output. Then you can add audio effects (e.g., reverb) just to those patches on that specific output. It also lets you control the volume levels separately for different patches.

When inserting a soft synth there are check boxes on the insert options for 1) First Synth Audio Output, 2) All synth audio outputs: Stereo, and 3) All Synth Audio Outputs: Mono.

Thank you for this (and your other) reply. That is very helpful and it helps me understand what's going on. But my basic question remains how does Sonar determine that I need 4 new tracks (instead of 1) if, for example, I insert the TTS-1 synth. Is that just the synth's defaul setting (as opposed to something Sonar itself is doing)?

Thanks again!

The number of outputs is a design consideration of the synth. Someone decided that TTS-1 needed 4, someone else decided that Session Drummer needed 8. You get what was designed into the synth. Doesn't have anything to do with Sonar.

Glen

Back