Glitchy sound in Sonar 7...I need trouibleshooting help

FW piano guy

I have Sonar 7 Producer on XP service pack 3 (ya its old but its been basically a good combination). My sound card is a USB connected Tascam 144. This setup has been functional for over a year.

But after being away from recording awhile (but not touching anything on the computer which stays offline) when I tried recording the simplest of bare bones piano comps I got a tape-like wow & flutter glitch. I have clean power in the studio...the problem occurs with annoying regularity.

By turning off some meter functions in the past I eliminated any dropout. The computer has been optimized in the past and I've had reasonable good service from this gear. This has me stumped.

What's the most efficient way to troubleshoot this? Where should I start? Thanks for the tips so I don't have to start with reworking the computer from ground up.

Go over your settings again. I've had accidentally changed stuff without knowing and have had similar problems. The #1 problem with glitches and drop outs is the buffers are set too high. #2 is the sample rate, I go with 24 bit 48khz sampling with no problems. My US-1800 doesn't play well with higher settings.

Thanks for the tips. I can get this program running with various limited results. Here's where I'm at:

1) I've set it to the highest latency and CPU taskbar reads up to 47% (but generally lower).

2) ASIO settings / buffer sizes read as low as 65

3) " " " " write as low as 145

Should I talk to a dedicated hardware guy and see about a diagnostic test? This laptop is old, perhaps there are power problems that drain the performance. I hate to say its a goner cuz the funds aren't there for a new recording platform.

Back