Changing drives

guitarpat

Using Sonar X1. How do I change the drive I'm recording on? I'm assuming I go into preferences>File>Folder Locations. Change (Project files) from "C:\Cakewalk Projects" to E:\? Is that correct?

The recording data files (or folders, your using folders for the projects data hopefully) were located (before 'X series at least) under 'Global audio.
Although you could I suppose have had them both in the same place, 'Cakewalk Projects' are the app's project files (CWP's) not the data files.

Yup. That changes where new projects will be saved to and what folder to open by default when opening a project.. You can just copy the folders from C: to E: if you like.

Glen

I find this all confusing lol. Looks like to me that it saves it where ever I open it from. Does that mean it's recording it there too? So If I want to use E\ to record on and I have files saved to F\ then I copy a project from F\ and paste to E/ then open it from there? I want to use E\ for recording only. Save on F\ and back up on G\.

... Looks like to me that it saves it where ever I open it from. Does that mean it's recording it there too? So If I want to use E\ to record on and I have files saved to F\ then I copy a project from F\ and paste to E/ then open it from there? I want to use E\ for recording only. Save on F\ and back up on G\.
You need to be clear- what you mean and what 'saves it where I open it means now.
You underastand the difference? CWP - your project/app saved versions
And the audio data folders locations.
Perhaps an example-
I open one of the projects that was made and saved in my default C' Cakewalk Projects folder.
Each projects ought to have a unique wav data folder under 'Global Audio. These folders were made when we started the project (by using the 'per project folder' feature I believe it's called), or by making your own folder prior to starting a new proj.
That decides where cake records/stores the audio- assuming you directed it to by highlighting it in 'Global Audio. (Is it still called that in X' versions?
Now I finish work on the proj for the day and do a save-as 'song 1 to-days-date' into the same folder as my project's audio folder which is on my audio drive, let's say drive be D'.
I can now copy that entire folder, data and work-in-progress-dated CWP ver to my b/u drive 'E.
Now, I can open 'Cake and steer to 'C and open that version, or I could go to D or E and open and run with any of them.
Unless I changed it (worked on a different proj since then for example) 'Global Audio still says drive D/ 'Song 1, and that data will be used, new audio will go there.

I could change 'Global Audio to the b/u drive/folder and run the proj from there just as well.

"Looks like to me that it saves it where ever I open it from"
Just in case..
A 'save' is to write over the open file. Close the app, reopen, that's the one that pops up.
'Save as' assumes a new ver is wanted - so either a new name, or at least a new location is asked for.
Now that new location is the one you see when you re-open.

So it records it where the Global Audio is set to. Then when you save it, it writes it to the drive you opened it from?

No offense, it's hard to tell if you still don't understand, or maybe you're just being lazy' with the way you do your questions.

Sorry to ask so many stupid questions. I'm busy during the week and usually don't get time to record until the weekends. I do think about recording a lot while I'm working however, and get on this wonderful site during my breaks. I think you answered my question though, and when I do get time to mess with it I will figure it out. Thank you for your help. I really do appreciate it.

So it records it where the Global Audio is set to. Then when you save it, it writes it to the drive you opened it from?

Using global audio is probably the root of your confusion here. I'm going to bet that very few people use the Global Audio folder, but use the "per-project audio" option. Per-project audio causes all of the recorded tracks to go in the folder for the specific project. When this option is used the project file and the recorded audio files are all together and can be easily moved and copied.

If you do not select this then all of the audio for all of the projects that you work on are lumped together in the global folder. This makes it a bit more difficult when trying to move things like you are. However, this may actually be to your advantage when trying to move EVERYTHING as you can just copy the entire global audio folder to your new drive and change the directory in the audio preferences.

It really isn't that Sonar is confused on this. You have two options for how audio is saved. It sounds like you have chosen to save your audio files in the global directory so it does not matter what directory you choose for the rest of the project. the audio files will go in the global directory. You may find that it works more like you expect it to if you change over to per-project audio.

Glen

Back