Basic Cakewalk Home studio

Mr Blues

I am thinking of getting a basic Cakewalk Home Studio just to do a bit of editing and polishing up .

I have a Tascam DP-01FX and I am thinking of using the USB connection to transfer each file to my computor and using Cakewalks basic reverbs and stuff.

On there menu do they have compressors/limiters.

At the moment I have a very basic very cheap Magic Generation 6 Home Studio which I got from maplins.

All I will use it for is Vocals , also stereoing my guitar and a few harmonies.

I saw one advertised for £79.00 but there is also the Cakewalk Home studio XL which is £99.00 , it has 48 audio tracks.
The XL has better effects.

I have a Windows XP with a 80G hard drive .

Do you think this would be ideal for my home set up?

David

I REALLY like Pro Audio 9.3. I know it's not the latest but it is solid & with a wrapper runs VSTs nicely.
I did look at much more impressive software but I haven't really begun to stretch out in Cakewalk yet let alone find a limitation for my level of stuff.

If it comes with the ability to use VST effects, there are many free ones out there to use. One of my favorite compressors is free, the Classic Compressor.

Dogman said:
If it comes with the ability to use VST effects, there are many free ones out there to use. One of my favorite compressors is free, the Classic Compressor.
ummm,dogmans avatar,dogmans avatar,dogmans avatar,dogmans avatar,dogmans avatar,dogmans avatar,dogmans avatar,dogmans avatar,dogmans avatar,dogmans avatar,dogmans avatar,dogmans avatar,dogmans avatar,dogmans avatar,dogmans avatar,dogmans avatar,dogmans avatar,dogmans avatar,dogmans avatar,dogmans avatar,dogmans avatar,dogmans avatar,dogmans avatar,dogmans avatar,dogmans avatar,dogmans avatar......uhhh,what was the question?

Mr Blues said:
I saw one advertised for £79.00 but there is also the Cakewalk Home studio XL which is £99.00 , it has 48 audio tracks.
The XL has better effects.

I have a Windows XP with a 80G hard drive .

Do you think this would be ideal for my home set up?

David

The amount of tracks and number of instances of plugs are dependent on what your computer can handle.Regardless you may find that with a decent sound card,or maybe through your Tascam,you may prefer recording directly to your computer.

Mr Blues said:
Hi Freudian Slip

I have just checked my specs and its a Windows XP
Pentium lll
551Mhz
256MB Ram.

David

Time for a new computer if you are serious about using DAW software.

Mr Blues said:
Thanks for that I'll have to save up.

dave

You can still do plenty. My old puter was a 600mhz with 128 RAM. I was able to do quite a bit. The key is using plugins correctly and not too many. You will be surprised how much you can get if your computer is optimized and not much else is running.

Mr Blues,
you can do plenty with that config. That's what my current audio recording dedicated basically is - with an INCA 8I/O card & not too many plug ins it'll do fine. As I've mentioned previously in other threads. I'm not very good at this stuff but drop into my 1st signature link & listen to any of the tracks there - all recorded &/or mixed on the above config.

Back