Track Copying

Skyline609

wasssup,
My group built a studio and we currently are using an ADAT-XT and a STudio 32 linked up with the ELCO snake. UNfortunatly 8 tracks is kinda limited for us, so we figured we would have to record all the drums first and then bounce down to one track.

COuple of things here that are driving me nuts. Can the ADAT recorder mixdown tracks within it self. Say for instance...move the tom channels down to one channel without going back into the board. Im really confused!!

Also does anyone have any suggestions on how to effectivly record alot of drums on just 8 tracks. I was thinking using the 2 busses to make the toms 2 tracks left and right, and the other 2 busses for the overhead left and right, and then just record the other stuff on its on? Would this work?

The ADAT is not capable of mixing within itself friend. So sorry.

Without a console with subgroups, you are going to have problems getting stereo tom tracks using the aux sends. If they are stereo aux sends than you would get stereo, but trying to use two mono sends would be a pain in the arse trying to make it sound stereo.

You solution is getting another ADAT, and, a BRC controller. The BRC really expands the capabilities of the ADAT system.

Good luck.

Ed

If you get the pcr card you can drop all the
tracks down to a pc and probably do whatever
you want there and then dump them back to the
adat

I am not sure exactly what you are trying
to do but on my xt I am able to bump a couple
of drum tracks down to one track and have never had a problem with it. I didn't have to
go through my mackie to do it, just within
the adat itself.

Boy Jerome, you are then doing something no other person has ever accomplished on an ADAT before, and that includes the ADAT people themselves, and that is digitally combining two tracks on an ADAT to another track on the same deck with no digital mixer in between. In fact, nobody has ever been able to digitally transfer even one track on one ADAT to another on the same machine without the BRC, or a similar device.

Now if you are talking just bouncing tracks through the analog I/O's, well, easy enough. Of course you still need a mixer.

The ADAT card may or may not work. Forget about using one if you don't have SCSI drives, or at least LVD rated drives on your computer.

So Jerome, I am not sure what you have been doing to combine tracks on only one ADAT without a mixer.

Ed

Sonusman

Maybe I'm not doing what I think I'm doing
but I used track copy and thought I was able to bump the two drum tracks down from track
1 and 2 to track 8. Im pretty new to this game. We didn't have the drums tracks totally
seperated so maybe it just seemed like that.
I followed the directions in the adat manual
which seem to suggest that you can bump the
tracks down within the adat? Right now I've
got the adat at home dropping tracks onto the
pc so when I bring it back and hook it back
into the system I will give it another try
with two tracks that I know were totally seperate. These were all mono tracks.
There was no track on #8 and I didn't go
through the mixer and when I got done there
were drum tracks on 8, so I think one of them got there. You sound pretty sure of what your talking about and I'm not; so I'm
gonna have to take your word for it, maybe it
was all that acid I took back in the 60's

Maybe so.... :D

There is no way though that any ADAT actually has a built in digital mixer to combine two tracks to one.

Ed

Ed

went back to the manual and you are correct,
probalby once again, they don't mix just copy. Thats why when I bounced the 2 drum tracks I thought there was a quality loss but
what it really was was only one track showed
up there not the both of them mixed. We were
miking the drums and sending some to channel
1 (snare whatever) and the others to 2. Since
there was no total seperation there was alot
of mixing within the tracks and when bumping
one of them was left out which I attributed to some kind of quality loss, so i tried it a
coupled of more times and thought it worked but with some kind of quality loss. I've never recorded in stereo but could one copy 1 track onto to 2 then pan 1 left and 1 right for a quasi stereo? What else would this function be of any use for? They don't give a use for it in the manual, I mean why bother to move tracks, there just going to be the same thing in a different place?

Back