Remote recording with ADAT.

Dom Franco

I have recently been doing some remote location recording. I don't want to lug around my 24 track board. (Unplugging all the sends/receives and cables etc.)

Doe's anyone out there in ADAT land know of a small 8in/8out mixer (With XLR or 1/4)that I could use to input to the ADAT? Then later I will bring the unit back to my studio for mixdown.

I have used a couple of mic preamps but I dont want to have to buy 8 of these!

Sincerely;
Dom Franco

I assume you have a newer model ADAT and are going to use the unbalanced I/O for remote location recording. I recomend an Alesis 12R mixer. It is about the best thing for using eight mic's for a little amount of money ($350). I would use TRS send/return cables on each of the inserts of each channel. Use the send to go to your ADAT's in and the returns for the out. This will allow you to use the trim on the mixer to regulate your levels going to your ADAT; then you can use the faders to get a good reference mix. This is pretty cool because you would not have to switch cables around when you are out recording. It also has FX sends and returns if you need them. Here is the best part about using the 12R with an ADAT: you can put them in a 6 space rack (or more if you have effects) to make it easier to travel and set setup - Throw it in the car and go!

[This message has been edited by Fishmed (edited 12-22-1999).]

Back