question about a noisy lx20 again

antofants

A little bit back I posted a thread in here about having owned a couple of Adats at one time that sounded noisy (not mechanical but actually going to tape). Well, a friend of mine decided he wanted to take a chance with the lx20 as he was just starting to get into recording. I asked him if I could borrow it again the other day to play around with it. By playing around with the machine I discovered that the RCA inputs tended to be noisy when I tried recording the analog inputs and only very mildly noisy on the anolog outs. However, I hooked the optical ins and outs up to my 2408 mkII and both recording and playback were super-clean (in regards to noise). I ran a number of different tests to confirm that this was the case. My question is if anyone else has ever come across this with their Adats or did I just get the screwy one in the batch again? Second, if anyone has had this happen, is it repairable?
thanks- David

I still have two LX20's though I haven't used them in a while. I've never detected any noise (and I use them with a MOTU 2408 mkII as well) analog or digital. When you say noise I assume you mean like white noise under the audio? It almost sounds like you may have a problem with your mixer or cableing.

Back