Please help with SR16 programing...

gtrplayer_1966

Have the Alesis SR16, but do not have an audio engineering masters degree!

Please help! How do you program this thing????????? I've read the book and read the book.

There MUST be an easier way?

I would like to create a nice intro, a simple groove beat with some fills and then an outro. I've been using the pre-program tracks, but my songs are all sounding very "mechanical".

I would also like to be able to enhance/modify things such as the kick or snare sound.

This really can't be that hard can it???

Could someone just break it down for me in simple steps??

Is there a video or something on this thing?

I'm not a drummer so drum lingo is not in my forte....
I'm a guitarist.

All of your help and advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
gtrplayer

Yo StringMan:}

I've used the SR16 and I did some programming on it. The downside of programming is that it TAKES time.

You do programming a step at a time or a measure at a time. The easiest way to get to understand it, is to glue your eyes on the manual, and just program a few hits on the snare and cymbal and then play it back. Then go for a little more until you get the feel.

Programming means that you are going to be counting measures in your song or you will just program ten bars and let it loop. [repeat]

Remember, you can always add a cymbal splash or rim shot on another track AFTER you have done the program and chords.

I always like to get the drums and chords down first. This sets the meter. Adding other tracks now is a matter of following that meter -- you can add bass later if you need it. Once you get the meter tracks down, then if you screw up, you just need to rewind or go back to the beginning and do the track over. This is usually easier than editing unless you are into a PC program that offers quality editing.

You CAN'T program a drum sequence without taking time. You can go to, perhaps, a class offered at a Junior college or University and take some electronic music class. This might help.

But, if you sit down with the manual and your SR16 like I did, and I'm not an engineer either, you will "suddenly" understand how it works. I could point out pages in the SR16 manual, but you have it.

Green Hornet:cool: :D :p :cool:

Thank you so much for your help! I shall infuse the manual into my noggin this weekend and see what happens.

I'm sure I'll have further questions and will post accordingly.

thanks again!
:)

gtrplayer_1966

i am reading this after it is several days old. so if you haven't figured the programming out., let me know and i will give you some pointer to get you started.

it may be overwelming at first, but it is really simple once you get to doing it.

goodluck

I'm a guitarist too and I love my sr-16. When I have time, I'll do a step by step of a simple drum pattern and song for you. Can't do it today. I hope you don't give up cause the sr-16 is a great tool for guitarists who want a drummer without a mind of his/her own. Oh wait... Drummers don't have minds! :o)

Sorry I could'nt resist! To any drummers who read this, I highly respect your abilities and certainly meant no ill will through my bit of humor.

Peace!!
Chris

Back