NanoCompressor???

Hmmm...Let me step back in.

you have only been registered since what Dec 2001. What's that 5 months ago. What type of music to you record? Like I said before it depends on taste and creativity. And just because 8 people on message board say something is bad is basically thier opinion and their taste of how thier music should sound. If you have read post or posted about this before than just ignore the post instead of feeling it with useless info. All your doing is wasting your time and the time of others. I have the compressor so I posted what I thought about it. Let's be professional fellaz. If you think the nanocompressor is junk then fine. I have no beef with that....But don't attack me because I don't think it's junk. No one yet has any spefic thing that would lead someone to believe that the compressor is bad except that it's noisy. Oh and that it's a piece of junk. Being the person I am that doesn't convince me that it's a piece of junk. If your going to tell me something is junk you need to back that up with facts... You can't though because it's your opinion and not a fact.

David K- I have to disagree there is no such thing as an expert when it comes to mixing. Mixing is a talent. He may be talented... but I don't know... I have never heard anything he has mixed. He may be an expert on the technical side of equipment but to claim he's an expert on how a track should sound through a compressor is a stretch. What sounds warm to him may sound cold & thin to me. I been told that because something doesn't have the bells & whistles doesn't mean it can't accomplished the same job that something that has those can. It's all about what your using it for and what your trying to do in your mix. Also I would like to add that it depends on what style of music your mixing. I mix mainly hip hop.

chalin27 said:

you have only been registered since what Dec 2001. What's that 5 months ago. What type of music to you record? Like I said before it depends on taste and creativity. And just because 8 people on message board say something is bad is basically thier opinion and their taste of how thier music should sound. If you have read post or posted about this before than just ignore the post instead of feeling it with useless info. All your doing is wasting your time and the time of others. I have the compressor so I posted what I thought about it. Let's be professional fellaz. If you think the nanocompressor is junk then fine. I have no beef with that....But don't attack me because I don't think it's junk. No one yet has any spefic thing that would lead someone to believe that the compressor is bad except that it's noisy. Oh and that it's a piece of junk. Being the person I am that doesn't convince me that it's a piece of junk. If your going to tell me something is junk you need to back that up with facts... You can't though because it's your opinion and not a fact.

Sounds like this was directed to me. Not sure where you are going with the Dec 2001 thing. Actually I am only 5 months old and I was registered at birth. Now then. If you read back through my post, you will see that I never mentioned word of you personally other than the reference to your missed readings of previous posts. Therefore, no attack has been made. Quite the opposite, you lashed out at Bruce for his opinion of an ass-tastic piece of gear. The major issue that arises is one of opinion. If you make a posts on this BBS that says "Anyone Use One"? do you truly want people to simply say "NO"? I think your question infers a request for opinion. I just realized why you only have 11 posts after 1.5 years of being on the post. You must know all of the answers, but not want to share them with anyone. Funny you mention being professional in the same post with the Nuh-Uh-Compressor. Anyway, no attack on you, just some observation of your tactics. Though I am always learning when it comes to recording, I consider myself versed in Guitar. If your question pertaining to the type of music that I record pertains to anything useful, let me know and I will be glad to exchange some tunes with you. Game on.

P.S. Uh -Oh... I just listened to some of your tunes on the Website. Gulp.

Fangar

chalin27 said:

you have only been registered since what Dec 2001.
I have been here since AUGUST 23/2000 under my previous alias "bvaleria..."
...which I used until JANUARY 28/2001 (about a year and a half ago) when I registered under my studio's name.

Not only do you not seem to be very experienced, but you don't seem to be able to read and compute dates correctly! :rolleyes:

I can tell you one thing for certain Chalin...
...one day, when you finally start getting "engineering ears", you will hear a good compressor.... and you will remember this thread... and you will be VERY embarrassed....

Bruce

Chalin...

Hmmm... checked your tunes.... you're right about one thing - they DO sound like they were run thru a Nanocompressor........!!!

:rolleyes:

Bruce

Hey,now don't be so hard on the nano compressor!I have one and it is doing a fine job.............I broke one of the wheels off my roll-around chair last night and the little nano has been propping my chair up all day long and hasn't let me down yet!;) :D :D :D :cool: :eek:

chalin27 said:
David K- Mixing is a talent. He may be talented... but I don't know... I have never heard anything he has mixed. He may be an expert on the technical side of equipment but to claim he's an expert on how a track should sound through a compressor is a stretch.
I have heard his stuff. He is possibly the most talented guy in this forum (except for modest me, of course:rolleyes: ) Chalin, don't argue with the Bear, try to learn from him instead. He knows how a track should sound through a compressor. Trust me on this one, this is like a guy who just got a camcorder telling Spielberg how to make a film.

You listened to my tunes. LOL... Now I though you were an expert. Those sounds were mastered through an L-1 Ultralmizer. Now how about them apples. On top of that I didn't record or mix those songs. I was the client in this case. The Mix sounds pretty good considering the instruments were weak. I thought your were somebody who new your stuff but you can't even tell the difference between something compressed with an L-1 or something compressed with a nano compressor. Like I said in my early post. It depends on what your recording. The instruments used in those songs were very weak. If your recording is a good one any compressor will do.

Oh and about hearing good compressors. I have heard diferent compressors I go to a Omega studios school of applied recording arts. :D I live in Maryland. At this school I get to learn from engineers who are currently working engineers. These engineers have worked with many Platinum artist in the industry. How many have you worked with? They say that Dynamic process or effect processing goes on you taste. If you like the sound of something you like the sound of it. All engineers don't prefer the same processing equipment. It depends on your taste. Now let me insult you. I bet money that with 5,000 dollar equipment a talented enigineer could make a better recording/mix than your fully operational 30, 000 dollar studio. If you don't believe asks some of the platinum engineers.

Fangar- Bluesound Attacked me because I think the nano-compressor was useful he said he disagreed 100%. I asked him why...then he said it's a piece of junk. What could I possibly learn from that. Then he said from my post he can tell I have no experience with compressors. I learned nothing from this discussion about what is wrong with the nano compressor. No one has given contrete info of why it's not effective. I will do a search and see if he has ever given any advice on this particular compressor.

Last edited:
Wait a damn minute did I miss something. This is the only post the search came up with. If this has been talked about 75,000 times where are the posts. Please tell me how to find all these post you guys have read or were apart of.

chalin27 said:
Wait a damn minute did I miss something. This is the only post the search came up with. If this has been talked about 75,000 times where are the posts. Please tell me how to find all these post you guys have read or were apart of.

Well here are (2) others. The Other 74,998 posts must have been caved by now. Also the search function here is less than savy sometimes. This thread is dead, I have wasted more than the $50.00 in effort necessary in an attempt to save someone from purchasing one of these.

I know that often through typed text, one is unable to take note of sarcasm or inflections, however you need to pay more attention to how things are worded and said. That will save you a lot of hearteache when it comes to defending yourself and silly gear all of the time. I think that by taking the initial posts in stride you would have seen that you would not have become the focus along with the goofy gear.

The comment about us telling the difference between compression gear is a little boisterous (I wouldn't be able to tell anyway) and again shows that you are attempting to compensate for something that you felt was levied against you. Your tunes sound very bad from a Mixing and musical standpoint. I am not saying that there is not some decent things there, but when you are slangin text that you are the shiznit, your music becomes your voice. Right now, you have been silenced. I enjoy all genres of music that are well done and show talent and flare. Anyway Good luck. Maybe I will run my replys to your posts through my NanoCompressor in the future just to create a little more noise and confusion.

Fangar

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51755&highlight=nano

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41706

Fangar- Sense your the only one who has seemed helpful. Could you please explain to me what sort of noises or problems you had with the compressor. I would like to listen to mine and hear what you describe. I just want you to know I am not the arrogant one here read my very first post. I only got arrogant when Blue bear tried to insult me. If I like something I like it. I liked the nanocompressor when I purchased it. It's just my preference. The studio where that album was recorded has mostly some of the same gear Blue sound seems to have in his studio. So let's say this, If blue Sound had did the recording and mixing of the tracks then would it sound different or the same. It would definitely sound different. It depends on the engineer tastes and how they feel it should sound. holla back and please give me a concrete explanation.

Oh and Fangar- I never said I was the shiznit. I didn't even say I was a proffesional engineer. I also stated that I'm learning...Now what was that again you said about misreading text. ;)

chalin27 said:
Oh and Fangar- I never said I was the shiznit. I didn't even say I was a proffesional engineer. I also stated that I'm learning...Now what was that again you said about misreading text. ;)

That was my whole point. People infer from reading your posts. By you casting a statement that someone can not tell the difference in a compression unit by a recording, you infer that you would be able to do so. This infers that you are the Skiznit.

"I go to a Omega studios school of applied recording arts. I live in Maryland. At this school I get to learn from engineers who are currently working engineers. These engineers have worked with many Platinum artist in the industry. How many have you worked with?"

Anyway regarding you question. I have found the NanoComp to add quite a bit of hiss or noise in its application. I don't like how the input and output levels are controlled bya switch where it seems to be one or the other. I also think that it adds a dull edge to the sound. The unit is fine for $100.00 for someone who is not looking for a serious compressor. For someone using a 4 track that is only looking to produce entry level mixes,it would be fine. But for just a little more money there are several more that I am sure my pals here would recommend that would do a better job. Peace,

Fangar

Wait a minute Fangar. I don't mean to carry on with this but I think you feel that that quote was directed at you. It wasn't it was directed at Blue Sound. He said the music sounded like it was processed thru the nano when it wasn't. He is the one stating he knows what it should sound like. I'm not the one saying that. He's the arrogant one. He's is the one looking down on the Nano users not me. You gave me the answer that I thought the Blue bear professional would provide. If I had a choice of what engineer I wanted to hire and my choices were blue sound or Fangar. It would definitely be Fangar. You have shown me you can be a critic and still be professional. Industry standard if you ask me. thanx

Let me explain that when I talked about how a compressor sounds I was under the impression BlueSound thought the Nano is the only compressor I have ever heard before. I was simply stating I go to School at Omega studios and I have use many other compressors while in hands on training. I was just letting him know that the nano is not the only compressor I have ever heard. So I do have other compressors to compare it too for listening references. To be honest I have only recorded hip hop tracks with it. It may be a different situation with a guitars or singing vocals. Mostly all my artists are emcees. So Have you recorded any hip hop acts? I'm just picking your brain. Thanx

chalin27 said:
Let me explain that when I talked about how a compressor sounds I was under the impression BlueSound thought the Nano is the only compressor I have ever heard before. I was simply stating I go to School at Omega studios and I have use many other compressors while in hands on training. I was just letting him know that the nano is not the only compressor I have ever heard. So I do have other compressors to compare it too for listening references. To be honest I have only recorded hip hop tracks with it. It may be a different situation with a guitars or singing vocals. Mostly all my artists are emcees. So Have you recorded any hip hop acts? I'm just picking your brain. Thanx

I am far from a professional. I record at home in my makeshift studio after I get home from work at around midnight each night. I have never recorded anyone other than myself, though I listen to just about every style of music there is and find myself writing and recording in a variety of styles.

I think that the Bear was just being sarcastic when he said that your tunes sounded like they came through the Nano compressor. He was just saying that they didn't sound well mixed and that they sounded as if they were run through the compressor that he dislikes so much. Anyway not to stick up for him, becauase he can do that for himself if he likes, but though he always comes off a gruff and short, he really does provide a great information base. Also, I have heard some of his mixes and let me assure you he is well versed.

I do appreciate the fact that you have warmed up a bit in your posts. You will find that if you learn the BBS personalities that we have here you will understand more when Someone sounds like a shmuck. Most of the time it is because theyare, but aren't we all. Two things that I learned from reading posts here. Don't say that you like the NanoCompressor, Don't ask how to mic a fart, and don't call what you do at home on a PC mastering. Other than that you can ask what the best mic for sex is.

Cheers,

Fangar

Well I'm sorry I do like the nanocompressor. Every one on this board can dislike me for that if they like. I don't give in to peer pressure very well... never did. I'm not saying that you have though. Too much sarcasm is annoying. I am a little ruff too but not when it comes to audio engineering. I take that profession very seriously. I guess I expect to see all professional or semi professional engineers to act the same as those I am learning from. I'm not new to the board just don't post much because of all the sarcasm or flak someone recieves for asking a question. No question is a stupid question in my book.

Where can I go to hear what he has mixed?

Last edited:
I take the profession very seriously too... now where's that damn 3630! :rolleyes:

Chalin - you're new, and a rookie, so I will indulge you... the nanocomp is CRAP because it sounds bad... it adds artifacts as it compresses (ie, you hear it working)... when it's engaged, it muddies the sound (you're not SUPPOSED to "hear" the compressor when it's in!) Even in bypass-mode it affects the sound (much like the 3630...) That makes it a piece of junk.............

As I said, one day, you will eventually get your engineering ears and you will understand... in the meantime, enjoy your lo-fi stuff while you can............

Bruce

BlueSound Indulge me with this....Have you ever recorded any Hip Hop Acts? Also I would like to hear some of your mixes. I can't seem to find any examples on you website. I agree with Fangar. Your voice is your music. Why would I believe any thing you say. From your attitude I can't see why any one would want to do a session at your studio no matter how cheap your rates are. If I was a Prospective client you already lost me. Your written sarcasm wreaks "Not professional". I don't know you so how do I know your not a rookie who just had enough money to buy equipment. So Save it yo. The same goes for you if walked into your studio tonight the words rookie would never leave your lips. You would probably want record/mix my music. Now since you know I will never make the trip all the way to cananda just to record at your studio. You insult me. That's okay though because in reality you really mean nothing to me as I do to you.

Back