with masterlinks so cheap now...

mixmkr

we don't need rest!!
why would I want one over a dedicated burning program (like the 'ancient' CD architect...or Wavelab), and a good stereo editing program? Is 24 bit CD's one of the big reasons? All this providing that using the computer isn't tying up other audio tasks. Could it be considered a fancy DAT (but on CD, of course)...and 2ndly...do you suppose the 24 bit CD's will be playable on any other machines in the future?

I look at the Masterlink as a "fancy dat" myself. I'll probably just use rewritable cd's and rip 24/48 cd's for mastering.

I really just wanted to add a question...
How much audio (time) can a 24/48 CD hold?

Thanks.

thanks everyone for all the answers....I'll weigh the pros and cons, and maybe make a decision this weekend. Again...thanks everybody!!:D

mixmkr said:
thanks everyone for all the answers....I'll weigh the pros and cons, and maybe make a decision this weekend. Again...thanks everybody!!:D

The masterlink is a hardware attempt at duplicating the functionality of your "Wavelab".

Remember that not all musicians/studio engineers are comfortable with computers so this device gives them a way of "all in one" mastering to CD.

thanks frederick..
that is kinda what I thought. For the life of me, I can't understand why everyone isn't using the computer more for such tasks and doing their editing, burning...and all that good stuff. To me it seems WAY more flexible, isn't that hard to learn, actually seems better in many ways, and conceivably is even cheaper. I'm hooked on the 'puter...that's for sure. I see the 24 tracks and the ADATs great for multi track recording (needing many tracks at once), but beyond that, no other real reason.

mixmkr said:
I see the 24 tracks and the ADATs great for multi track recording (needing many tracks at once), but beyond that, no other real reason.

oh...and except for using them in the style of "tape decks", where you can route them easily thru an analog mixer, etc....and taking them to other studios...and stuff like that...

Mix, I'm setting up one of my old computers as a mix down deck. It doesn't take much of a computer to record two tracks (my old 400 MHz AMD with 500 megs of ram is more than up to the task). A good 24/96 sound card is going to be cheaper than a Masterlink and IMHO will out perform its converters. Add to that the on screen editing capabilities (all at 24/96) and it's a clear choice for me.

mixmkr said:
thanks frederick..
that is kinda what I thought. For the life of me, I can't understand why everyone isn't using the computer more for such tasks and doing their editing, burning...and all that good stuff. To me it seems WAY more flexible, isn't that hard to learn, actually seems better in many ways, and conceivably is even cheaper. I'm hooked on the 'puter...that's for sure. I see the 24 tracks and the ADATs great for multi track recording (needing many tracks at once), but beyond that, no other real reason.

Its a fear factor.

Same reason why a lot of people refuse to learn how to drive a manual transmission. Nothing prevents them but their own "I can't do it".

I certainly have a computer in my studio, two in fact. One like Track-Rat where its not exactly the latest and greatest, but it has a sound card with adat and s/pdif so I can mix to 7.1/5.1 or stereo using the computer as the mastering station.

My other computer is for midi composing, and automating (through midi) my row of TMD1000's. Thats all great, swell, happy stuff, but I wouldn't be satisfied mixing using a piece of software, especially for larger numbers of channels. Motu's DP is a great software, as is Logic, but moving knobs on the screen with a mouse. But I'm old school. I grew up with large, analog consoles with more knobs than you or I could count.

I'll be happy to mix with the computer once someone makes a control surface with knobs for 96 channels, including EQ, compression, yada yada. I started to make one myself, and have one channel done. Expensive AND a pain in the butt LOL.

The other thing that the Masterlink excels at is doing live-to-2-track location recording. I used one of mine in that capacity last night, in fact: I was doing location recording of a large vocal ensemble to my D1624, and I multed the output of an ORTF pair of room mikes set behind the director onto the Link. Doing that, I was able to give the director a rough work mix CD-R before she left at the end of the night- already broken up into tracks, as one track per take. Punch go on two decks, not just one, and then punch the "create cd" button at the end of the night- that's all there is to it...

For speed of work in situations like this, *nothing* beats the Link. I'll slave over mixing the final product from the D1624 later, but being able to deliver that rough to the artists at the venue is a *huge* timesaver. Someone who is really adept at it could probably do the same thing with a computer rig, but using dedicated hardware can make it much, much easier... Since I already have a hardware solution that works, and is stone reliable, I'm not making any plans to learn how to do this with my DAW. But your mileage may vary, of course!

I mix down to pc via SPDIF and burn to a quality consumer burner with Wavelab, but I've set my sights on a Masterlink because of the sound improvements I've heard about. I don't know where it occurs, but there is a definite drop in sound quality from Wavelab to CD, and it's not jsut in mixing shortcomings. I'm not expecting great mastering from the Masterlink, just fair representation of the two original tracks.

Vurt,

If you're just piping over to the computer basically for a burn in wave lab, you're going to find you can pretty much leave the computer out of it all together when you get the masterlink. If you are doing some edits and mastering in wave lab, then I suggest trying to go out from the computer via ANALOG to the ML. The ML converters are...unbelievable. It may well be in my head, but I am a converted analog freak now that I have the ML. I used to be a stickler for spdif optical or coax, but now I just jump over from my Akai dps24 via the main outs analog into the ML. Absolutely, positively awesome results. My last project was tracked at 24/44 and the red book burn was simply the best quality I've ever gotten to cd. And the mastering tools are very high quality too lets not forget. I too relied on a good quality consumer burner, but the consumer burner is nowhere in the ballpark compared. One of the best purchases you'll ever make. And that consumer burner...back in the box until an emrgency arises! Good luck, and get the ML. It's awesome!

Dan

Shockwave said:
The ML converters are...unbelievable... Absolutely, positively awesome results... My last project was tracked at 24/44 and the red book burn was simply the best quality I've ever gotten to cd... I too relied on a good quality consumer burner, but the consumer burner is nowhere in the ballpark compared. One of the best purchases you'll ever make.

Thanks Dan - repeated testimonials like that are what really got me looking into the ML. Too bad I just had to dump $750 into my car :(

frederic said:

I'll be happy to mix with the computer once someone makes a control surface with knobs for 96 channels, including EQ, compression, yada yada. I started to make one myself, and have one channel done. Expensive AND a pain in the butt LOL.

Amen there brutha'!!

word of warning

mine is hosed...broke...gotta ship it back to Alesis...

they aren't perfect...they do fry from time to time..

RB

Before you send it back!!!!!!!!!!!!

My ML harddrive was fried and kept spitting out corrupted file messages so after wasting twenty or so discs believing it would cure itself I decided to go to best buy and purchase a 18 gb harddrive for like $60.00.Spent ten minutes installing it and walla!!!28 hrs. recording time and it's performed flawlessly ever since.I'd seriously recommend looking into that option before sending it back to alesis where it will probably spend a good six months on a shelf collecting dust.Also, if you rack mount it there are four extremely small holes on the bottom that are designed to provide air circulation....yeah right.I'd leave one rack space below it just for extra measure....hope this helps:D

The Ml made such a difference in my converting

Thanks Dan - repeated testimonials like that are what really got me looking into the ML. Too bad I just had to dump $750 into my car :(

I look at myself as a efficient studio solution for the indie artist looking to spend a few grand mixing and mastering a bit!.. So anyway, I picked up the Masterlink used, drove a hour picked it up! And let me say ran a 002 with a spdif in and out to a m-audio profire 610, I know laugh it was available, then sent the main out of the 002 to the masterlink, ran it back in through alt monitor 7/8 so I could a/b back and forth for clients. So first and for most let me say the masterlink blew me away, compared to the 002 setup, just bouncing to disk, then into wavelab. I am running a Manley mu as a insert, and some nice eq plugs, and then direct out to the masterlink, and WOW. It was worth every last penny. The only bummer is, I like adding isrc codes, and cd text, and all the track fades in cd archtect, I love wavelab, and I would give all the options these programs provide, for the sound quality the masterlink has added to my mixes. So as for the masterlink, awesome purchase.

www.proinstrumentals.com

thanks to all the feed

one more thing

I think I could get away with a nice a/d now, and see a serious improvement, or am I thinking wrong?

By the way, the manley Mu is still the best piece of equipment I have ever purchased, but the masterlink really brought more life out of manley's high end compressor limiter!

Back