I had it with the ADAT!!

:rolleyes: oh yeah... the voice of experience...

Sorry, but what the HELL are you talking about, if you've never used them yourself?????

Bruce

was that to me?
as i will respond approriately if needed.

Blue Bear Sound said:
:rolleyes: oh yeah... the voice of experience...

Sorry, but what the HELL are you talking about, if you've never used them yourself?????

Bruce

ok then. my exprience with them is from the many people i deal with daily, and that experience is that they are unreliable and you need a backstock of them to continue a 24 track studio as many are in repair at a time.. that is the "A" point. though i stated that already and you only read the first line i guess. the "B" point, if i personally was buying a digital tape format i would obviously go with the much more reliable and versatile da-** series from tascam.. as i havent seen one defective one in two years where i work. its cool that you have a lot of knowledge and i respect that, but as you have no experience in what comes back defective more than others, you should respect my knowledge on that. no more letter points from me though.. just i do prefer zero access time over rewinding and such.. and if i did want to rewind i would invest in a studer or otari machine and sync it with my pc..
Blue Bear Sound said:
Yes... your last comment said you have no experience with them, yet you say they suck.... good one...

:rolleyes:

no "C" point, but i prefer zero access time, and if i wanted to rewind and wait id buy a studer or otari and sync it with my pc.. (for some reason this part of my last post got truncated) i also said i respect your knowledge, but you might have less experience than me in dealing with defective merchandise and the tascams never come back defective in 2 years..

Well.... I respectfully disagree with you... the Tascam DAxx's are no more reliable than the ADATs, and from a recording standpoint, they are more prone to tape errors (due to the smaller track width than the ADATs).........

For as many problems you seem to think there are, there are many more who don't share your opinion....

Bruce

thats cool, my message got truncated.. but the rest of it said if i wanted non zero access time i would get a studer or otari and sync it with my pc. and i do respect your knowledge but my assumption was that you havent seen the world of merchandise returns due to defectiveness. and the tascams never came back defective.. and they allow 192k for 5.1 mastering.. though ill give adat advantage over p.c. in the realm of handing the customer something he can take with him at an affordable cost..

Armand thanks for the info. Ham on Rye you are unfortunately correct, they do suck. It has been my experience and almost everybody I know that used them at one time or another that eventually they decide hat they are not worth the hassle. Which is why people either go to a real tape machine or to a hard disk system. I finally gave up and took my to a local repair shop here and they had 7 XTs waiting for repairs. Bear, you are lucky as far as I am concerned, I am glad that you have had a good run w/ yours. But I figure I have done enough maintanence with mine that they should preform a bit more consistantly. Alesis wouldn't even address my problem before they went belly up. I sent letters, left messages and never got a response. So, I say good riddence. I'm going PC, I'll deal w/ those problems as they come, but I'll tell you what, so far they're doing me right.
Happy holidays!

Well again... your units were performing as expected, so what would you have had Alesis do for you????

Anyways... harddisk systems have their own idiosyncrasies you'll have to deal with.....

Good luck........

My offer still stands. !00.00 american dollars for any adat working or not. Come on you guys get rid of those dinosaurs and sell them to me.

i have to agree, I own 2 adat's and i'm very unhappy with them. On one, there is a constant tape error reading of about 1000, and on the other, the belt is broke and the tape sensor is broke, so I have to unscrew the unit and feed the tape in by turning the gears manually. Moving parts suck. I think i'll get a harddisk recorder. Anyone have problems with the HD24?

Have to agree with Blue Bear. Sorry guys ,I run a commercial studio using Hard disk, 1" analogue 16 trk & you guessed it, 3- old black faced beasts. I clean the heads maybe once a month ( too easy) & get a full service maybe once every 8 months.I learnt a long time ago not to jerk them around too much and allow for sync before you take off. They still perform beautifully after 6000 hours! THEY'RE STAYING!!!

Well Its great, again, that you guys have had good experience w/ them. I have not, these units were not badly maintaned. I must have bought a lemon or something. Although, by pure mathematics alone I have found that more often than not, people that I know and alot of people on this BBS are not terribly happy w/ them. IF you do a search for ADAT on this sight very rarely will one start out "ADATs, why do they kick SO MUCH ASS?!?!?!" or "What did we do to make God himself give us these little digital treasures, the ADATs?!".
I am sure that some of the people that have posted on this treat know a whole lot more than I do about these machines. I am no expert, but, I am also not an idiot and do understand basic rules of trying to keep you gear nice. And the ADATs, for me preformed badly. But this is quickly becoming a dead horse beating contest, w/ me heading it up. I hate them, Blue Bear and some other weirdos(a joke) dont!

Not too long ago, it was "What's the best 24 track recorder under $16,000?" There wasn't any! The tape was what, $200 for a 30 miniute roll?
And how many people post "Help, everything is working!"

mixsit
Kickin' back an' counting my blessings.
:)

I bet if this BBS was up and running when the ADAT first came out you would have seen more praise about them.

Give it up!!!!!

I have been following this post for awhile now and it's ridiculous.Twonky I understand that you have had problems with your adats and I'm not trying to convince you otherwise. But give it up, the adat format is still alive and well. Every major studio in the world still works with the adat format.Yes they may have to send them out to service them from time to time but that's life.I have two adats xt20,and a xt and it's wonderful that I can record some tracks send my tapes half way around the world have some overdubs done and have those tapes back in a week. No format known to man is flawless and or extremely reliable.At recording institute of detroit where I've attended classes they prefer the da88's over the adats but they adats as well.Trust me they are sending there da88's out all the time to repair them.If you don't like the adats fine but when you find the perfect format that's 100% reliable than please let me know!!!!!!!!!!

twonky said:
That was a long time ago, Fish

My point is that people usually just rave about things that are new. If it is old and good, then it is common knowledge; therefore, there is little need to tell others what they already know.

ALLRIGHT!!!

OK, I hear you all and appreciate your thoughts, obviously I was posting an unpopular opinion in the Alesis forum. My intent from the beginning was not to argue w/ people about the pro and cons
of the ADAT format. I have stated at least three times that" I AM GLAD THAT SOME PEOPLE HAVE HAD SUCCESS W/ THEM" Great, ok?
I was simply stating a fact mine has had to be service too many times, and all the while I have people telling me, that the units were preforming as expected. Thats crap! I expected this unit to work, it didn't.
I know ADATs are not going away, I dont care. I am unhappy w/ them, and now you cant even talk to anyone at Alesis to get them fixed. So why is everyone so offended by that?
All I wanted to know was how to use them as a vehicle to track into my PC. One person person answered me, MIxit (thank you) the rest argued about how good or bad they are. I dont mean to come off as a jerk, I was just reacting to the fact that it turned into what it did.

Sorry

Ian

Back