HD24 vrs other HDR's

Bear,

I suppose that is true... but it looks ok. I guess I might also mention that it required recabling part of my studio... as the HD24 doesn't have the ELCO connectors that I had been using with my black face.... but since I had the excuse to buy new cables, I went up to higher quality stuff... so now I have 48 tracks (24 HD tracks and 24 tape tracks) all controlled via the BRC.

Oh yeah... Brucey... I did buy the Masterlink. Haven't messed with it much, but so far so good. Rendering takes a little while, but the quality seems excellent.

Velvet

Blue Bear Sound said:
Yeah -- re-cabling........ me too........ 2 balanced 24-channel Canare snakes...........!

fuck....... $900!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:(
Yikes!!!!!! I bought $150 worth of connectors and built my own snakes. Granted, it's Beldon wire but shit man, it sounds real good to me.

Bruce...

Wow... I did two 20ft 24 channel balanced Gepco snakes (using some of their better cable). I had them build it. Used Neutrik connectors.

$524 for TWO.

Velvet

Ahhh... that makes more sense :)

I'm impressed thus far with Gepco. I've contacted them about making a cable for my masterlink too... since I would have XLR outs from the Mackie going into XLR ins at the Masterlink... but then XLR FROM the Masterlink to 1/4trs at the 2-track in on the Mackie.

I could make them myself, but I'm handwiring my patchbay and that is more than enough for me :)

Velvet

"Actually Alesis now has a firewire caddy for the HD24... you can simply pull out the entire drive caddy and place it in the firewire craddle... then go about your editing as if it where just a normal harddrive connected to your computer via firewire... "

Hi, newbie to this site. I run an HD24 with a Mackie D8B, I would like to do editing in my puter, where do you get these firewire caddies?

"I want to use it with the BRC, but the HD24 manual suggests chaining an ADAT before the HD24.... this seems silly to me because that means you constantly have to run a tape in that unit for the BRC to operate?!?! "

Blue bear, I think the reason behind this is because the tape based ADATS have to rewind or F.F. tape to find locate points, they are slower than the HD24 for that reason. Although it does seem silly if you are not running both an Adat and the HD24, it is essential if you are running both, otherwise you might be hitting the play button before the tape has reached its mark.

I'm looking to definitely get one of these HD24s, but was wondering what everyone was using as their mixer to the deck itself. I have a Mackie 1604, but it only has 8 outputs so I'm going to have to purchase a new mixer to go with it.

I was looking at the Behringer Eurodesk MX9000. Is this a good match for the HD24, or should I be ponying up with more money towards the mixer. Was trying to keep this purchase under $3,000.

I'm looking to definitely get one of these HD24s, but was wondering what everyone was using as their mixer to the deck itself. I have a Mackie 1604, but it only has 8 outputs so I'm going to have to purchase a new mixer to go with it.

Fontcow: unless you're going to mix your songs with the console, you're fine with the Mackie. The Mackie has 16 outputs if you use the channel-inserts to feed the HD24, and if you use the Aux-returns, you can monitor all 24 channels.

Meshuggah said:

Fontcow: unless you're going to mix your songs with the console, you're fine with the Mackie. The Mackie has 16 outputs if you use the channel-inserts to feed the HD24, and if you use the Aux-returns, you can monitor all 24 channels.

Great! I didn't even think of using the Inserts on my Mackie for this. I always think of those as an out to a effects unit and back in instead of just an out. Plus, I've read some on the Behringer Eurodesk and a lot of people on this board abhore Behringer mixers so it looks like my Mackie 1604 will still work as a great mixer for the HD24.

Also, what are good prices for these Alesis HD24s?

I'm looking and am quite confused by the difference in the HD24 and the HD24XR? What's the difference? At most of the online stores they only offer an "HD24" for around $1,800, but is that the XR? I have one catalog here that says the HD24 is $895 (I'm assuming it's a misprint and they left the "1" off, so it should $1895 like it is everywhere else) and the XR is $3000. It says the XR comes "with EC-2 96k analog I/O board". Am I really going to need this? (Me thinks not!)

Primarily, I will be recording at 44.1kHz tracks to transfer to my computer for mixing/editing in n-Track, or some other similar multi-track editor. I'm guessing the HD24XR allows for 24-track 96kHz.

Thanks in advance for the info, fellas. This BBS is awesome.

Last edited:
TRACK RAT........

...you recall using the BRC with the HD24 at 44.1? I did this the other day and noticed the time reading on the BRC was 'off' compared to the time reading on the HD24......... I hadn't noticed this with the XT20s the odd time I used 44.1........

This happen to you at all?

Bruce, I disconnected the BRC as soon as I got the HD24 over the external clocking issues (not wanting to daisy chain the GenX thru the BRC to the HD when the HD has a word clock input right on the machine). But I have noticed the BRC not agreeing with the ADATs when clocking it at 44.1 with the GenX.

Current Opinion

Bruce (Blue Bear Sound).

Now that you've had the HD24 for a while what is your opinion on this products usability/reliability and if any shortcomings?

Thanks in advance,

David Artis
Blue Heron Studios
:cool: :cool: :cool:
From the sunshine state

Re: Current Opinion

David Artis said:
Bruce (Blue Bear Sound).

Now that you've had the HD24 for a while what is your opinion on this products usability/reliability and if any shortcomings?

Thanks in advance,

David Artis
Blue Heron Studios
:cool: :cool: :cool:
From the sunshine state
I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't imagine working without it now..... same feeling as when I got the Masterlink!

Back