HD24 vrs other HDR's

David Artis

Just a question for those of you have purchased and have had a chance to put the HD24 thru it's paces.

I am in the market for a HDR and am comparing various machines. I currently have 3 ADAT XT20's and would like the compatibility of the HD24 but need the editing of the Mackie HDR.

That said - what do you feel are the strong points of the HD24 and it's weak points from your using of this machine?

Any replies welcome.

David Artis

Blue Heron Studio

I edit my tracks in the computer which is MUCH more powerful than the editing inside the Mackie. I can transfer either thru my MOTU 2408 or an FTP transfer out of the HD24 to the computer, edit with Cakewalk or Vegas and then back to the HD24 again. IMHO, the Alesis unit smokes the Mackie. The Alesis unit is ready to go out of the box vs the Mackie which depending on how you want to configure it, requires that you buy input and output modules.

Yes i agree with the Rat man, after hours of homework and trials the HD24 is the go...transfer to computer for editing too easy...

Plus you can run generic hard drives in em so who needs to back up just build a harddrive archive!!!heheehee

The digital I/O's aren't extensive with just the lightpipe and ethernet, but if you plan on running thu an analog console it would be sweeet.

And you can copy a hard drive to another within the HD24 itself as it has a hard drive bays!!! Very nice,dont even have to go to 'puter!!easy!

They are VERY nice units... I've been digging mine.

My session have gone soooo much faster with the HD24 than they did with my 3 black face adats (though I still have them in my rack!!!... unlike SOMEONE I know *Q*)...

I *did* have one strange issue with my HD last session though... the transport lights all lit up... the unit still functioned perfectly, but the lights were all on for every button on the transport. I powered the unit off... same thing... did a power off from the back side of the unit (the master switch)... same thing... had to physically unplug it from the wall to clear it.

Strange....

worked fine again afterwards (again, this NEVER made it function any differently... I just couldn't tell what button I had pushed :))

Velvet Elvis

i love my HD so far. The only thing that gets my knickers in a twist is having to buy the cadddys for each hard drive. I know you dont have to but Im not going to be pulling the hard drives out of the caddy each time I record or change projects.But hey! that is not too much of a bitch I guess!!

Velvet Elvis said:
They are VERY nice units... I've been digging mine.

My session have gone soooo much faster with the HD24 than they did with my 3 black face adats (though I still have them in my rack!!!... unlike SOMEONE I know *Q*)...

LOL Velv Elv!:D
When I 1st got it, I spent the next several weeks, 5-6 days a week,on lock-down in my basement stoo-dee-o learning it's functions,recording 3 songs and ADAT-archival transfer! Wif-ee and fam got pissed at the lack of attention to them on my part so I've been chillin' out away from my toys!
Home repairs and improvement have also taken up a lot of my time and has also afforded me the opportunity to spend more time with fam.
Tommorrow, i'm taking fam out for a day in the sun and a picnic.
THEN IT"S BACK TO THE BASEMENT!! My Alesis HenryD24th calls me in my sleep,at work,etc, and I can't resist!
"I'll be Back"!

Hard drive caddies...

Can you use any generic caddy or must you use alesis caddies? If I can get them from pricewatch they probably wouldn't be too expensive...

--MIKE

i dont think you can use generic caddy,but I have not seen one. The alesis caddys are 25.00 at guitar center. 39.00 list. It would be interesting to find out in generic will work.

Q -

I hear ya... my family has expressed their concern for my addiction to the HD24 too ;-)

They just don't understand!!! *sniff sniff*

Velet Elvis

Velvet Elvis said:
Q -

I hear ya... my family has expressed their concern for my addiction to the HD24 too ;-)

They just don't understand!!! *sniff sniff*

Velet Elvis

Tell me about it brutha' !!!:eek:

Q -

Let me ask you... what software do you use for editing? I tried to edit something in Samplitude and the HD24 wouldn't take it back after I did my editing....

I have the latest HD software etc... but it didn't seem to want to take it.

Velvet Elvis

Don't laff!!!....................

..........but I use E-magic software (which is free) and recommended by Alesis. Sometime's I use the HD's own internal editing for various track scrubbing.

Which emagic software is it?

Is there anything special about the audio settings so that it will work with the HD24?

If I download to the computer, I can upload just fine.... but if I download to the computer, EDIT THE TRACK, then try to upload, it tells me it cannot upload.

Velvet Elvis

Why would you want to send it back to the HD24

Don't you master in the comp?

Just curious.

I use Vegas Audio and Sound Forge and have not tried reverse transfers yet but will give it a go after doing an Edit.

Back