(HD24) So I guess a router is necessary for FTP?

darkstar67

Hi folks - I am new to this board, first post. I was wondering if I can go directly from the ethernet "out" on the HD24 to the "in" on my ethernet card on my computer?
(I want to import the wavs I recorded)

I saw in a post here that a router is necessary, I don't have one, so I don't know much about networks. Sorry for such a newb question, but I do have some things to transfer before the fireport 1394 gets here - LOL.

any help greatly greatly appreciated.

Boy am I grateful for BBs like this!!! :o

You can connect the HD24 and your computer together directly, but you need to use a network crossover cable instead of a standard network cable (same cable and connector but wired slightly differently).

You'll find file transfers very slow this way though... you should seriously consider getting the Fireport. The difference in practical terms, you ask? An album's worth of material would take DAYS to transfer via ethernet compared to about an hour or so with the Fireport.

darkstar67 said:
Hi folks - I am new to this board, first post. I was wondering if I can go directly from the ethernet "out" on the HD24 to the "in" on my ethernet card on my computer?
(I want to import the wavs I recorded)

I saw in a post here that a router is necessary, I don't have one, so I don't know much about networks. Sorry for such a newb question, but I do have some things to transfer before the fireport 1394 gets here - LOL.

any help greatly greatly appreciated.

Boy am I grateful for BBs like this!!! :o
Hello,

Here is what the manual says in regard to Ethernet (page 75). Basically you need what is reffered to as a cross over cable to connect directly to a computer without a hub.

If you are connecting to a single computer without an Ethernet hub inbetween,
you will need to use a special type of Ethernet cable called a "crossover cable". Note that nothing else can be on the Ethernet system in this case.

Here is a chart showing how the pins of one end of the cable are connected to the other:

PC To Hub or HD24 to Hub Wiring
1 ---- 1
2 ---- 2
3 ---- 3
6 ---- 6

PC to HD24 Wiring
(crossover cable)
1 ---- 3
2 ---- 6
3 ---- 1
6 ---- 2

You can buy a crossover cable at any computer store including Radio Shack. This will get you by till your FirePort arrives. Note that D-link NIC cards don't work with crossover cables, according to the manual. Most onboard network adaptors should though.

good luck
Dwain

Thanks Everyone!

It's that darned crossover cable action! Thanks - I need to get that specific cable.

I am aware of the advantages of the Fireport, but I have to wait for mine.
This is just to get me by for a week or so, THANKS SO MUCH!!! :)

Back