HD24 newbie

DeadPoet

carpe diem
Hi y'all,

New to this part of the forum, and to the HD24... Just bought one on eBay (€1,000 ~= $1150) and anxiously awaiting it's arrival..

In the meantime:

1) Are there firmware versions to stay clear of that anyone knows or is it ok just to get the 1.17 in there ?

2) I have a laptop and am thinking of getting a RME digiface to be able to a) record a backup while on remote recording b) make a headphone mix for muso's. But, I couldn't find this stated very clear in the manual: does the HD24 echo the analog inputs to the analog and digital outputs at the same time ??

3) is there still a harddrive limit or is it ok to slam a 160Gb drive in there ?

Gonna get me the fireport as well, since I sometimes have to share files between PC and Mac and that seems the easiest and fastest way of doing that.

TIA,
Herwig

1) Get the latest s/w - it's very stable and fixes a number of important bugs...

2) Yes - analog/digital output is active at the same time.... as a matter of fact, with the latest s/w you can now even mix analog and digital input (in banks of 8 I think) (Not 100% sure on this point though - I've not done it)

3) No limit on drive size as far as I know... I use 100gig all the time....

Thanks Bruce.

That input-mixing thing seems interesting... for example when recording 16 tracks I could send some tracks via lightpipe to a computer, add (almost - depends on latency) realtime effects to them and play them back through the last 8 digital inputs ... a poor man's outboard :cool:
(handy for reverb and delay, less for compression and other dynamic stuff)

Herwig

You can mix analog and digital and it's in banks of 2, not 8. So it's very versatile!
I advise you to go to groups.yahoo.com and search for HD24, and join this group. You can get answers to any of your HD24 questions there!

yep, already did, but there seems to be something wrong with my yahoo subsription, haven't seen any msg yet, though the site says multiple messages a day...

H.

There's no harddrive limit, but there is a limitaion on the number of songs per drive. 64 is the max, and calculating the "normal" song length to 3-5 mins, you''ll end up with the conclusion thats drives bigger than 120Gb or so will prolly be not worth it.

I use 80Gb, and would consider 120Gb maximum, if I still wanna keep every song separated from eachother. One 80Gb drive equals 6.3 hours recording time @ 24 channels.

That gives me 380 minutes of recording time, and if split even between 64 songs, they would be in avarage just under 6 minutes each.

If I get a bigger drive than 80Gb, I can't have more songs. I can have longer songs, but since there will always be songs shorter than 6 min, I consider 6 min average to be well enough.

120Gb would mean about 9 min average for 64 songs.... only useful if you're recording 8 albums in a row with Iron Maiden/Metallica/Yes/Pink Floyd or the like.

Conclusion: 80Gb is just about right for any occasion, and that's why I use them. Another thing: even though you don't need 7200prm for the HD24, compare prices. Where I live, the 7200rpm drive of the same brand is cheaper than 5400rpm, which is now considered more of a "special order".

Errr... I don't have the HD24 yet, but I think I read in the text of one of the OS updates that they changed the structure to 99 Projects which can contain 99 songs each ...

<2 minutes later> yep, since version 1.10 you can have 99 projects with 99 songs in each one...

My idea is to use 120Gb or smaller disks anyway, this way if you ever have a failing disk, losses will be smaller..

Herwig

Damn.... I want that software upgrade... is there anyway to transfer it through the network connection, I don't have a midi interface in my computer. :confused:

Strange Leaf said:
Damn.... I want that software upgrade... is there anyway to transfer it through the network connection, I don't have a midi interface in my computer. :confused:

yes, you just drag and drop it through the ethernet. it is that simple. this is what i did, so i know it works. after you do that, when you stick a drive in for the first time, it will ask you if you want to update the drive to the new file system. go ahead and do this, it will not erase your drive. although, it wouldnt hurt to back it up first...

When you say "drag and drop", where shall I drop it ?

On the "root" of the HD24 ?? The rest is all audio files. Should I do this while both drive's are out / the "holes" are empty ??

Back