Guitar Center

I have a bit of mail order phobia (I know, I know). I hate buying something I can't have my hands on first, and I worry about things being damaged during shipping and having to send it back and wait for the replacement, blah blah blah. But Ebay is helping me curb that :)

There are certain things I just wouldn't ever buy via mail order though ...like a guitar. I know that people do, but I know I'll never be able to bring myself to do that.

If it's something electronic, I like to go to Mars or GC and try it out first - then buy it mail order if they don't match the price - best of both worlds.

jeap said:
if i were an employee at guitar center i would try to do well at all times and try to treat everyone well.

but its a two way street.

:p :p :p

I'm with you on this one jeap. I've serviced the public for 25 years and I've run into many of the whiners born with silver spoons in their mouths that have more money than brains. If I spent $40,000 at a music store I would certainly depend on my understanding of the equipment and not some minimum waged employee working his way up through the music corridor. Personally this 'I have the money so I rule' arrogance makes me sick. Treat him accordingly, bah! Where do these guys get off calling someone "The stupid mother f#C%er" because he didn't know what a BRC is.

Then he trashes you for crossing the line when you pointed out his poor behavior and all he's done since is babyish namecalling and throwing insults without any foundation. And then he talks about transparent, Hah! He needs a mirror.

He claims "It wasn't about the money back then. It was about knowing the people that came in and being part of a musical society and being someone that these musicians can go to with their questions and problems." I have news for him, ITS ALWAYS BEEN ABOUT THE MONEY!!! Boy, talk about naive.

Keep up the good work being a person and by the way what is a BRC?

i have no idea what a BRC is!

i have a feeling i dont need to know!

maybe its a computer midi or fake drum thing...

and yes ppls who serve the public get treated like dirt. it comes with the territory. you just have to try to block it out...

its no problem if one can slow down and look at things from the other person's perspective.

ive bought hmmm...

7 guitars 1 banjo 1 violin 1 electric bass and tons of other stuff thats been shipped ups fedex and usmail and i have NEVER had to send anything back.

when you get a guitar that way it is normally untouched since the factory and completely pristine. no fingerprints and no scuzzed up strings and no belt buckle scratches etc.

i set all my guitars up myself and i am amazed at the great quality of the workmanship i get. its so easy to set up the guitars ive gotten. the finishes have all been perfect. and the prices are way low.

ha ha ha i got 3 guitars and a bass during the "great dearmond blowout" and 75% off list is pretty damn good!

NYM....yes perhaps I was a bit harsh with my words describing the GC salesman. Why you seem to think that I have the "Holier than thao" attitude boggles my mind! you seem to have the notion that everything was hunky dory and then when I asked for a cable everything went to shit. Not true! This has been a gradual decrease in the quality of service. I will admit that this is only one store so I can't speak for every GC and GC salesman on the fuckin planet! True... business is about the money but some people stay in lower paying jobs simply because they love doing it and they're good at it, which reflects in their service. Some people don't have a problem with that.
As far as my comment about him crossing the line... I stand by that remark. There's no need to start wars over this. This was just a vent session aimed at an entity...not the salesman himself. As you can see by the number of people who have viewed this thread... I'm probably not the only one who feels this way.
Cool?
Cool!

In all fairness

For those not aware - BRC is the Alesis timepiece/remote control for operating one or more ADAT (8-track digital recording) machines from a single control point. BRC literally stands for Big Remote Control. Go figger.

Back on the thread, as I've followed this, I haven't really gotten any sense of participants who have knowledge of the "inside scoop" at Guitar Center. I have not worked there, but I have been very fortunate to have two different band members and close friends work at GC over the years. Both were ultimately very successful and were long-time employees. One still works there, the other has moved on.

What I learned from each of them is that succeeding at GC requires a lot of stamina, patience, perseverance, and very long hours every week. Most people who are willing to take a sales job in that environment are younger and less experienced to begin with, so that kind of character hasn't yet developed for them. However, for those who can persevere through the early going (low pay, long hours) there are some benefits that GC offers that can lead to those people becoming not only successful for themselves, but also good, knowledgable salespeople. GC offers several levels of training that can lead to certification in particular departments or particular types of gear. Those certifications lead to raises and better sales knowledge. Over time, that can lead to a pretty good living for these people. There are also opportunities to expand knowledge into several departments, e.g. guitars vs recording/pro audio vs. keyboards, etc. The more they know, the more they may earn, the more they can sell, the more they get repeat business from individual cusomers. My friend in Phoenix has survived in his position for over 4 years, and is as knowledgable as any salesperson on the floor. The drawback he faces, as I do being a customer loyal to him when I make purchases, is that the GC atmosphere puts a certain amount of pressure to sell a lot of "pieces," since many times the markup is low. This means that he really needs to handle many customers a day to maintain his commissions. I don't get nearly the personalized time and effort I might be afforded at a more exclusive shop, but for me its okay since I trust him, and I am generally a well-informed consumer before I even go into the store to make a purchase.

I feel that he is exceptional in terms of GC's overalll sales staff makeup; I am also sure that there are other exceptions. For the most part, though, I think the core group of long-term experienced sales staff is a fairly small percentage; most of the sales people come and go pretty quickly, and as a consequence are largely useless if the questions get harder than "how much?"

So there's two more cents for spending on your thoughts.

the fine folks i deal with on the phone are fully capable of entering my orders in their computers as long as i provide the item numbers!

i am very impressed with the results of all of their efforts on my behalf!

i dont really care who i buy it from as long as i get it!

:p

i dont really care who i buy it from as long as i get it!

True dat. ...seems like customer loyalty is a thing of the past, but that's a product of the industry (I don't lose any sleep over it).

I guess you get what you pay for. Going to GC seems like going to McDonalds. You don't order a Big Mac "medium rare", you just get what they give you.

The hangup I have is that many of the salespeople know very little about what they're selling - I just can't imagine that in any other industry. When you go to an appliance store, generally the salepeople know a lot about what they're selling and can give you any info you need.

If I need information about what I'm buying, I'll buy from the mom & pop shop (who know what they're doing) and pay for it.

i used to sell hondas in silicon valley and they always told us that the best salespeople know the least about the products they sell.

of course from their perspective the "best" salespeople moved the most units at the highest markup.

if you are very knowledgable (so they say) you will waste your time talking to the customers who will then go buy a car from someone else. best to not know or at least pretend not to know.

any place you no matter where or what you can run into a flake who knows nothing or will try to convince you of some falsehood. there are PHD flakes. auto mechanic flakes. they are everywhere.

never expect anybody to know anything and you will not be disappointed.

Back