Effects overloading

Paul

I operate a project studio using 2 ADAT XTs, a Mackie 24/8 board, Alesis Q2, 3630 Compressor and a Nanoverb among other devices. The problem arises in applying effects to a signal, either through send and return mode or a channel insert. The effect tends to overload and distort at very low volumes, often before you even have it turned up loud enough to hear. This happens with all three of the processors I listed above, though the Nanoverb is the worst. Very frustrating. I have to reduce the send level on the board or the input level on the processor to a miniscule signal to avoid distortion (really ugly digital distortion like a nest of bees!) And then no one can even hear the effect. This happens with vocals, drum tracks, whatever. Sometimes we've been able to overcome the distortion problem on vocals by really heavily compressing the track, but that is certainly not an ideal solution. Something has got to be wrong! This was never a problem in my studio experiences as a musician in the past. Is this just a digital thing? Anyone have any suggestions?

Try reducing the mic/line gain on the input of the mixer.

[This message has been edited by Fishmed (edited 11-17-1999).]

Check the manual for the Mackie 24/8 and see if you can switch the output of the aux output that your using to send to the effects unit from +4db to -10db (or vice versa). My guess is that your effects units will only accept a -10db signal and your board is set to +4db. I think if you can switch the board to -10db, it may solve the problem.

Hope it works.

Thanks for both of these suggestions. I've got three things to try at this point:

1.)Reduce trim.
2.)Try changing +4/-10 setting on board or effect processor.
3.) Try sending out through one of the 8 submix busses rather than the master aux send which, I'm told, sends a very hot signal.

I'll let you know if any of these work!

Back