best deals on S-VHS tape?

jmandoman

Just got an LX20 and need tape!

Where can I get the best deals?
What brands should I stay away from?
Are the dry head cleaners any good?

Go with BASF pre-formatted tapes @ $8 and some change!
I use the 60 min length! Never,ever had a prob!

dry head cleaners are good. I use em, but they get expensive.

Only use adat tapes, not svhs tapes.

I've always used BASF. Someone recommended Quantegy to me and one of the tapes I bought was filled with tape errors.

You get can get two Maxell SVHS tapes from Target for 13$. Any Target.

Also, guitar Center blows them out quite often, unformatted for 5$.

if you're recording for a band, best spend some money and get some good tapes, instead of bargains (unles it's a good tape for a bargain!).

fenix, ive never had a problem with Quantegy!

Romesh

MISTERQCUE,

Do you have the web site for that place?

Also, besides the pre-formatting, whats the difference between an adat tape, and like a sony brand Super VHS tape?

ADAT tape

I live in greater Los Angeles... Target doesn't carry S-VHS. Local music stores want $16-22 each for formatted BASF ADAT tape.
I buy Maxell S-VHS @ 2 for $14 at Best Buy. Just about any reputable S-VHS tape should work; I haven't seen any difference in performance between S-VHS and Quantegy/BASF ADAT tape.

Brian01 said:
MISTERQCUE,

Do you have the web site for that place?

Also, besides the pre-formatting, whats the difference between an adat tape, and like a sony brand Super VHS tape?

an adat tape has a slicker, more smoother finish to the record side of the tape. this will extend the life of your heads and If I recall correctly, heads run about $450 without labor.

adat tapes

Definitly get the pre-formats. The few extra bucks is worth cutting down on head wear. I've never had a glitch with the BASF tapes.

Micslut

The Target over in Kalamazoo MI had Maxell SVHS tapes, used 6 of them for a remote recording project. Despite not being marketed for ADAT, the Maxell XRS Black is great tape. Some ADAT users won't use anything else. I've never had error problems with it. Only other tape I use is the BASF. A friend buys HHB quite a bit, haven't seen any problems with it. Quantegy is supposed to be dodgy.

But the Maxell SVHS was $12.99 for a 2-pack. Best Buy has it too. I have no reservations about using it.

TP

B3Nut said:
The Target over in Kalamazoo MI had Maxell SVHS tapes, used 6 of them for a remote recording project. Despite not being marketed for ADAT, the Maxell XRS Black is great tape. Some ADAT users won't use anything else. I've never had error problems with it. Only other tape I use is the BASF. A friend buys HHB quite a bit, haven't seen any problems with it. Quantegy is supposed to be dodgy.

But the Maxell SVHS was $12.99 for a 2-pack. Best Buy has it too. I have no reservations about using it.

TP

If you truly value your ADAT's,NEVER,EVER,use tapes intended for
VCR's!! U may not experience any probs now, but in the long run
you are contributing to eventual head damage down the road! This WILL lead you to expensive repairs/replacement!
Trust me!

I agree with Q...

Don't wreck your deck with cheap tapes. I JUST looked at two decks yesterday with 3000 hours LESS on them than my deck (they were in here for repair) and they were just trashed because of bad tapes. Residue and junk all over the inside of these things. Bearings on the headstack were starting to cease up... idler wheel was slipping from excess tape residue etc.

B3nut,

You might be confusing the Maxell SVHS Black tapes with the Maxell Broadcast series (ST-126BQ I believe). They are NOT the same tape. Many many people, (including Sonusman in his ADAT days) swear by the broadcast quality tapes, but I've never heard people say the standard SVHS Black is the way to go.

Be nice to your ADATs... they *might* just return the favor!

Velvet Elvis (4000 + hours on original headstacks... on three decks... and still kicking)

Rubbish, you can use Pro SVHS tapes in ADAT's with no problems

I know this is an old thread but I want to set some things straight here for other future visitors and ADAT users:

Number one: The ADAT rubber idler wheel does not even touch the SVHS tape inside a ADAT machine, so it is impossible to get any tape residue on this idler wheel, you just need to keep it clean and or replace it every 1,000 head hours or so.

I think you mean the Capstan rubber wheel, yes you need to clean that once in a while too along with the tape path and rotary heads. You should properly service your ADAT machine every 500 head hours anyways.

Number two: Maxell and some other brands of professional and broadcast grade SVHS tapes for video decks, do not have sticky shed syndrome !!! (where tape residue comes off on tape guides and the rotary heads.)

Number three: the rotary head bearings need to be lubed from time to time like the machine's motors and moving parts. To say that the SVHS tape causes the rotary head bearings to go out, well it is impossible for a tape to wear out these bearings. They just dry out over time and need lubricant, just like the car you drive needs lubricating oil'.

Number four: I have used Fuji, Maxell, TDK, Panasonic, Emtec, and JVC broadcast and professional and ADAT SVHS tapes with no issues. Including the Maxell Black XR-S black magnetite brand. These SVHS tapes are all good.

There is no proof that these or other professional broadcast quality SVHS tapes cause more head wear, tape drop outs or any damage at all to an ADAT machine, or is any less reliable than approved ADAT SVHS tapes. It is a wives tale. So you can use both. Go ahead and pay extra for the ADAT approved name on your tape, it is still a SVHS tape plain and simple.

Number five: I have over 5,000 head hours on two blackface ADAT machines and yes they are still working perfect. I used both types of tapes in these machines, approved ADAT tapes and also broadcast and pro SVHS video tapes. So your tape theory here in this thread does not apply to ADAT machines. So Nothing bad happens when you use SVHS pro or broadcast quality video tape. I also have used regular SVHS tapes and they all work fine as well.

Amazingly, I have even used VHS broadcast pro quality tape, still with no problems, no drop outs, no issues. But Don't try regular VHS tape, this will clog up your heads and guides and what is the point. Well the point is, as long as it is broadcast professional quality SVHS video tape, it will work just great.

I find Fuji, Emtec and Panasonic both professional and broadcast and ADAT SVHS tapes to be the most reliable, Why? If you look at the tape surface in bright light, there are no surface imperfections and it is absolutely glass smooth.

The other brands of SVHS tape are very good, but just have a little more tape surface imperfections. Whether or not this causes problems ? It is not a big deal, because of the high recording and playback speed of the Adat format it seems to be robust and is designed to overlook the little imperfections on tape. If there is major tape surface problems like wrinkles/crinkles on the tape, well there is no hope for that. Back it up ASAP!!!

But the only SVHS tape still being made now a days, I think, is the RMGI Emtec brand. The other brands you will have to get from old tape stock online, or used from Craigslist, Amazon and eBay.

Number six: I would highly recommend NOT USING Ampex/Quantegy brand of SVHS tapes of any model number, and why you ask? Because of tape errors, possible sticky shed, tape drop outs, tape loading/jamming problems and quality control issues abound !!! Not good, not good at all. Maybe this is the SVHS brand of tape problems you were refering to ? Anyways not all have these problems, but many do of this brand.

This has been my experience and other Engineers I know that have used ADAT and SVHS tapes..................see ya'

Last edited:
Back