ALESIS QS6.1 TO COMPUTER

BCOOKED

I Just bought the QS6.1 and I'm trying to hook it up to my P.C. I beleive I have the serial port from the keyboard into the right port on the computer....but low and behold nothing happens when I strike a key. I tried using a cakewalk 9 demo and the soundbrige software that came with it but nothing worked....HELP!!!!

I've had a Q 6.1 for a while now and have had the same problem with my mac. The only way I've been successful with my hookup is by not using the serial port on the keyboard and just using and "old fashioned" Midi converter box.

-GM

Thanks Gm.....Part of the reason I got this machine is so that I did not have to run out and by any expensive converter's...my salesman made it sound so eeeaaassssyyyy!!
Are you really happy with your current setup?
How much do those interface thingamajigs cost anyway? Would you advise getting an inexpensive recorder for a beginner. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
B

I have an Opcode Midi interface...was around $40, I think?

As far as an inexpensive recorder, are you interested in a stand alone 4 track (such as Tascam) or computer based (Cakewalk, etc).

-GM

I have a QS8, so this might help a bit...
You might have to tell the keyboard to use the serial port and not the midi port...
(i'm not near my keyboard right now, I can't tell you the exact steps)
But I believe its in the global setup options.

Guy's it took me a total of about 8 hours just to get sound from my keyboard through the serial port and out of that cakealk demo...but the sound that comes out of cakewalk is not the sound that is higlighted on the lcd of the keyboard!!!??? Also when I tried playing back the tracks I recorded they played them in whatever sound the Keyboard was set to at the time of playback, not at the time of recording.
I guess this is a little more involved than I thought...

Back