Alesis iO26 issues

more_confusion

Hello

I'm running on a HP Pavillion DV6 1220SD with Vista installed. There appears to be a number of different problems I've been having. Also, it may be worth noting that up until i bought this new laptop, i have had no problems, so am aware it could be an issue with the laptop. I've run the io26 on Mac powerpc and intel based osX without issues. I have also used it on XP without issues, but this is the first time i have used it on Vista, so i wondered if there was any known issues that are still unfixed by the latest drivers?

I can record in 44.1, but i only get the clicking sounds if I'm lucky. Sometimes i get nothing at all.

When i record in 48 the audio plays back, but for some reason, only seems to do it if i go into the Alesis settings, change nothing, close the settings box and press play. Even this isn't guaranteed though, as sometimes it still doesn't play any audio. Also, when i do get playback i get clicking on the audio.

Just as I'm writing this i just got the message "unable to find Alesis iO 14 or iO 26". This is another issue i have been having, and seems to be okay briefly when i reinstall the up to date drivers, but only works for about 20 minutes at best.

Please help. I love this little fella and just want him to work so i can record again.

Thanks

what version of vista you running? i read somewhere when i was in debate about buying the io26 or the firestudio project (presonus) that it is not compatible with a certain version of vista (cant remember which one now) search this forum for io26 and have a look.

also another thing to try is maybe use the asioforall driver which is a free download (google it) and try and use that instead of the alesis drivers. many people who had problems with presonus drivers prefered the asioforall driver. it is reported to get rid of pops and licks etc...

hope this may help

dave

what version of vista you running? i read somewhere when i was in debate about buying the io26 or the firestudio project (presonus) that it is not compatible with a certain version of vista (cant remember which one now) search this forum for io26 and have a look.

also another thing to try is maybe use the asioforall driver which is a free download (google it) and try and use that instead of the alesis drivers. many people who had problems with presonus drivers prefered the asioforall driver. it is reported to get rid of pops and licks etc...

hope this may help

dave
I'm running Vista premium at the moment. Waiting for an upgrade to Windows 7 though, so hopefully that may solve some issues. I'll try the asio4all driver and let ya know if it goes well. Fingers crossed!

Just tried asio4all, and it almost works. Only problem that i'm still getting is dropouts in playback. It appears to be recording fine. No clicking anymore. The dropout seems to be both when i'm recording onto another track, and when i'm just playing back the recorded audio. Could this be a buffer issue, or would that only effect it during recording?

yeah try increasing your buffer size a little, not to much as this will cause latency problems. as you have installed asioforall it may not be possible to use the control panel for your io26m but try playing around with the latency settings in that too and make sure they match the ones in cubase or whatever DAW you are using.

if it still persists, try unistalling both asioforall and io26 drivers and then re-install just the asioforall

not sure on specs of your computer but check within cubase (if thats what your using) by monitoring the consumtion of memory and power. im not entirely sure which drop down menu this falls under, but it lets you see a reading of how hard your DAW is working. but now thinking of it this may only apply to any vts's you are running as they dramitcally use alot of cpu etc....

but if all else fails then i think the upgrade will help. or downgrade to xp home (it can be done) I have never liked vista

hope you get it working

Thanks, i'll give the buffer thing a shot. Latency isn't too much of an issue, as the direct monitoring works perfectly...oooh, wonder if using that is causing an issue? I'll experiment. Suspect the buffer is the issue though.

I've used the beta windows 7, and there's no going back. It's like flying first class. You'll never be able to fly coach again (except i don't have the cash to fly first class, and the only time i did was by pure accident on behalf of the check-in lady, so i've essentially made my previous statment null and void)! Not sure what it's like for recording, but its a hell of an improvement on vista. Especially in running speed. For what it's worth, i'd highly suggest giving it a whirl!

Stuttering/Dropouts

I am experiencing frequent and increasingly frustrating dropouts in both playback and recording. I have messed with the buffer settings and NOTHING is working! Can anyone offer any kind of input? Could it be that I only have 512MB RAM or would this not affect it?

Ben

I am experiencing frequent and increasingly frustrating dropouts in both playback and recording. I have messed with the buffer settings and NOTHING is working! Can anyone offer any kind of input? Could it be that I only have 512MB RAM or would this not affect it?

Ben

yeAh that would effect it!!!! HOW MANY CHANNELS?

It's an IO/26. The dropouts are occurring in playback as well as recording, and as I said changing the buffer settings does nothing so I figured it could be my RAM. I have been thinking of getting an iMac solely for recording anyway, do you think this could be a wise choice?

Just a thought - obvious though it might be - have you completely disabled virus checking? Just that I got my IO|26 working in Wiindows 7 without dropouts after a lengthy process of eliminating different possible causes, and finally - obvious though it should have been - worked out that it was the virus checker. Disabling this completely cleared up the dropouts.

i was experiencing annoying drop outs and clicks frequently - it was due to the second hardrive - when i disabled it,i had no problems with drop outs or clicks -

Many months go by without problems

now my PC doesn't recognize the IO

any suggestions ?

alesis io 26

I have been using the io 26 for sometime and the only issue I have had with Windows xp Pro is I checked remove Dc offset in Sonar Producers settings once and forgot I had done it and couldn't record anything without pops and clicks until I finally remembered and un checked it..
I am getting ready to install Windows 7 Pro with the new Protools 9 in the next couple of weeks which will supposedly work with my io 26. We'll see!
I had a MOTU 24, and a Tascam Rack unit (don't remember the number, but it was 18 in Firewire). The Alesis is the only unit that has worked without problems for me. I can run around 42 stereo tracks fairly loaded with plugins and never get a hiccup. My Tascam wouldn't even work if the temp was much below 70 degrees.
I know one thing for sure, I will never by another piece of Tascam equipment.

Back