Alesis ADAT HD24 Hard Drive Problems

DJL

Self Banned
I thought I'd share some updated info about the Alesis ADAT HD24 recorders for those who would like to know.

I've been using Western Digital 60GB 7200RPM (Model: WDC-WD600BB) EIDE Hard Drives in my Alesis ADAT HD24's for years without any problems.

However, I bought two new Western Digital 7200 RPM EIDE Hard Drives yesterday (a 160GB and 80GB) and they will not mount. They load to 90% and then stop and say to check the jumpers. I checked the jumper and it's ok... I even went to http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc...3RleHQ9anVtcGVyIHNldHRpbmdz&p_li=&p_topview=1 and http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc...3RleHQ9anVtcGVyIHNldHRpbmdz&p_li=&p_topview=1 and double checked to make sure.

I still have some Western Digital 60GB, 7200 RPM (Model: WDC-WD600BB) Hard Drives new in the box that I bought in 2002 that I haven't opened yet... anyway, so I opened another one up this morning and it mounted in the Alesis ADAT HD24 without any problems.

So it seems that the Alesis ADAT HD24 is a little touchy about which Hard Drive we should use... I don't know if the problem was/is because the drives are a newer type drive or because they are over 60GB... but, either way... the new Western Digital 7200RPM 80GB and 160GB Hard Drives will NOT mount in the Alesis ADAT HD24. (PS... mount means load).

I hope this helps everyone reading this who has or is running into this problem.

Last edited:
Thank you for adding those links to my thread... I added a link on them leading back to this thread. :)

No problem ... I just remembered Wilkee having trouble so I thought I'd chip in. I don't think I'm going to be using the HD24 at uni any more cos it's Pro Tools next year ... :)

DJL,

Your problem is certainly not the size, I have been using Maxtor 160GB drives without any problems.

aspirin said:
DJL,

Your problem is certainly not the size, I have been using Maxtor 160GB drives without any problems.
Hey thanks for the info aspirin. Today I found that the Maxtor 60GB 7200RPM (Model: 6Y060L0) drives also mount ok in the Alesis ADAT HD24... so I bought all 12 COMP USA had in the store... hehehe.

What is the model number of those Maxtor 160GB hard drives you're using in your Alesis ADAT HD24? I think I'll pick up a few 160GBers. Hmm, come to think of it... I need some more "Hard Drive Caddy's", I've been getting my Alesis HD24 Caddy's from MF for $25 each... does anyone know of a good place to get them cheaper?

Anyway, I really wonder why the new Western Digital 7200RPM EIDE 80GB and 160GB Hard Drives don't work in the Alesis ADAT HD24? My older WD 60GBer drives have a 2MB buffer... where as the newer WD drives have a 8MB buffer... but, again I don't know if that's part of the problem or not... anyone?

Last edited:
aspirin said:
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9, model number 6Y160P0
Thanks aspirin.

Oh, and for those of you who might dig up this old thread sometime later.

On the Western Digital 60GB 7200RPM (Model: WDC-WD600BB) EIDE hard drives you jumper pin 6 and pin 4 (Single).

On the Maxtor 60GB 7200RPM (Model: 6Y060L0) hard drives... it's a Style A2... so you jumper the top upper left and bottom lower left pins, (Master)... (when looking at the pins so the power plug is on the right side of the pins).

DJL, sorry to go off-topic

But just curious, what desk you got going into your HD24?

Thanks

- Idgeit

Update

The first Alesis ADAT HD24's.

I found out that the very first versions had drive PCB boards that will not recognize a drive over 80GB. This was because at the time, there were no drives above 80GB to test. The old versions of the Alesis ADAT HD24's only has one capacitor on each drive bay PCB (there were very few of these units ever made/sold)... and the newer HD24's have two capacitors on each drive bay PCB.

Are you doing recording for a living if you dont mind me asking?

I got a 4 channel soundcraft spirit. and an 8 chan peavey mixer. this summer updating to the soundcraft m12.

I was in debate betweent the m12 and the A+h WZ16:2³.

- Idgeit

Idgeit said:
Are you doing recording for a living if you dont mind me asking?

I got a 4 channel soundcraft spirit. and an 8 chan peavey mixer. this summer updating to the soundcraft m12.

I was in debate betweent the m12 and the A+h WZ16:2³.

- Idgeit
Yes and no... I'm part owner of a small commercial studio and remote recording truck... I also, own a few other small business... but my main source of income comes from my rentals.

Back