Adat Tapes

sludgehammer

Is it just a company scare tactic or will regular SVHS tapes actually destroy your Adat heads. What happens when you use regular VHS tapes? Anyone tried it? And what about cleaning the heads, is that still a user no-no? Just wondering.

You *could* use regular tapes - they may work for a while but I can almost guarantee that they will shed incredibly and you may see a lot of interpolation errors. You will need to do a lot more maintenance to the unit.

All in all - is it really worth the risk?? Pro-SVHS tapes are not that expensive; and you'll minimize the maintenance issues!!!

Bruce Valeriani
Blue Bear Sound

I've used Maxell and TDK S-VHS tapes with no problems but those were emergencies. I try to stick with Quantigy. I've had LOTS of bad luck with HHB tapes (I had to pull a ADAT out of the rack, take the cover off and peel the tape out of it twice). I clean my own, just don't do it like Rambo.

cleaning the adat heads is very easy. But just go easy on the head(drum). You need to very,very gently hold a LINT free cloth with alcohol on it(99%,no water) while turning the drum and holding the cloth up against it. Alesis has info on there site all about this. They say you can simply use a tape cleaner also.Dont be afraid.I just did it last night.Clean the idler wheel as well. These little buggers cause a lot of problems if they are dirty. Buy a few extr.$5.00 a piece. Alesis tech notes!!! Alesis.com.Good luck,Jim

Back