ADAT EDIT WOES!!

JimmyS

Alesis tech support seems to be of no help here...I've had two separate cards in the past two weeks and NO ONE can seem to help me get this card to sync with my LX-20.
All cables are correct (PCR CARD is master, need LX-20 to slave). LX-20 will slave off another ADAT (checked this already...unit is brand new). No IRQ conflicts, or other issues in software as far as I can tell. I've installed and re-installed the ADAT EDIT card till I'm blue in the face, and my LX-20 just "blinks" everytime I try to open up Adat Connect or Edit. NOTHING!! The card does not see the LX-20 as a slave at all. I can get audio between the computer and the LX-20 using soundforge, so the lightpipe is working, but not the sync. Cable is fine (checked this too). Sent first card back as Alesis tech said it was probably a bad card, but the next card is doing the same thing. Must be some type of conflict in my system, but I can not for the life of me find it. Computer is a Acer Aspire 200mhz with 64MB ram. No other problems with system. Windows 96 see's the card on bootup...no conflicts...I even removed my modem/sound card (IBM MWAVE) and still nothing.

Can anyone help!!
thanks,
Jimmy

Except for a few clitch's with installing, I did not have any troubles getting sound back and forth to and from my ADAT's when I installed that card. I am at a loss to give you any insight.

I will say this though, and it is not a slam, but, I have found that most problems come from people missing one little thing.

Also, have you checked to make sure that the sync cables you are using are good? Are the ADAT's in "external sync mode"?

Good luck.

Ed

Ed,
Thanks for the response, and yes I agree that in most cases, it a little thing that you overlook. It's been nearly three weeks now, and to be honest, I don't think I've overlook anything. I did take my LX-20 and the sync cable that came with the card down to a local music store, and both the machine and cable sync up nicely with the machine they had there. It just blinks when I try to sync to the card.

I thought maybe something to do with the PCI bus on my PC, I've tried all three slots, still nothing. I have disabled everything in my computer, still nothing. I have pulled the modem and sound card, still nothing. I have loaded the software and re-installed the card till I'm blue in the face, uploaded the latest versions from the Alesis Web site, still nothing. At the bottom of the screen on AdatConnect, it should read Master: 1 Slave. My reads Master: 0 Slave(s). I also get a PC AV 5 error when I try to boot up AdatEdit, saying "Failed to recover device".

I don't know about the question you asked me about having set the ADAT to "external sync" mode. According to everything I've read, the card once hooked up with both optical cables and a sync cable does that automatically.

Jimmy

Ed,
Now Alesis says that the card is not compatible with my Acer Aspire Tower. They say the card requires a PCI buss mastering system and they "think" that my problem is that because my PCI slots are on a "riser" card from the mother board, that they are not "buss mastering" PCI slots.

Hell...I thought a PCI slot was a PCI slot...this makes no sense to me at all...they are telling me the only way to get the card to work would be to replace my mother board....I want a second opinion before I do that....

I have the same system adat and card. The system is def not compatable with anything less than a pentium 2. I had to upgrade, had
a k62, had to get a new motherboard case chip
etc. If you do, make sure you do not get an
onboard soundchip, you will have boocoo problemo. The system you are running now, 200
mgz is at the very lowest end for the card.
I had alot of problems at first but alesis support got me through alot of them. Some of
their tecs are real asses and some are a real
good. When you get one who gives you the right answers get his name and try to get him
whenever you call.

Jerome

Thanks man...for awhile I thought it was just me. I'm going to have another computer built, specifcally for DAW use, along with my ADAT setup.

Alesis should be a little more definitive when they give the specs out to what you need to run the card. They say on a windows based system, Pentium processor, 90Mhz minimum, 200Mhz preferred, 32 MB ram,
64 MB preferred, a CD-rom drive and one empty PCI slot.

Yeah, right... ;)

They told me 200mgz min. and didn't mention
anything about chips. It really can be a bummer when you lay out all that money and nothing works. After I upgraded the studio computer for $400. (it was a k61 I'm sorry)
to a k62-333 I went an bought a new set up anyway k7 athlon 650, 128 ram, 7200 rpm hard
drive, I wasn't goning to be caught short again. I bought it at a trade show and saved
6-700 on anywhere else I looked including
pc shopper

Back