ADAT Blackface

Elco Cables

adx-100b.gif

That is an Elco cable. It connects to the back of the Adat and they come in different configurations. My Elco cables have 1/4" plugs to go into my mixer. You can get them with XLR's (as shown) so you can go straight into the Adat and bypass the Mixer.

There's a book that is all about Adats.

And they are easy to use - if you can use a vcr, you can use an Adat.

Cool, I thought that wasn't possible to connect straight to ADAT without using a mixer.
I own a small stereo pre-amp and a phonic 1705 mixer ( 5 mono inputs & 4 stereo inputs). I think I dont need nothing else to record with an ADAT, besides a compressor and more mics.
Thanks for all the info !

Elco XLR connectors does not mean Mixerless!!!

adx-100b.gif

That is an Elco cable. It connects to the back of the Adat and they come in different configurations. My Elco cables have 1/4" plugs to go into my mixer. You can get them with XLR's (as shown) so you can go straight into the Adat and bypass the Mixer.

There's a book that is all about Adats.

And they are easy to use - if you can use a vcr, you can use an Adat.

Elco XLR connectors does not mean Mixerless!!! Be careful what you say here you can mislead Newbies'. :spank:

XLR connectors simply means for the ADAT Elco snake, is that you can connect to a professional balanced XLR ouyputs/inputs on a good quality mixer, most today have XLR mic inputs but most do not have XLR output channels unless you pay big bucks'. Most microphones are low Z XLR and you still need a mixer to boost the low Z signal before going into an XLR Elco cable on a ADAT. Also sometimes you will need Phantom 48 volt power for some mics. You are better off with a budget to use the 1/4" Elco ADAT snake rather than XLR connectors.

So ADAT's do not boost their signal inputs and you can not change the volume of the sound coming in, clearly you need a mixer to boost signals for most microphones and guitars/bass etc.

You can however connect synth's and most keyboards/sound modules direct to ADAT inputs, if they have volume controls to boost their signal and most do. Also most do have 1/4" connectors that can go direct to ADAT inputs. You can also go 1/4" to RCA into the newer XT ADAT's.

Hope this helps someone out there, Wow this is an old post..........I stil use ADAT's and they still work for me'. :D

Last edited:
A couple things about ADAT's in general...

(BTW, I am a fan of ADAT's, so don't take this as dissing them.)

You really should use S-VHS tapes. Standard VHS may work, but you run some real risk.

VHS tapes are no longer being manufactured. Anywhere. You will have to rely on NOS.

Yes they are still making ADAT SVHS tapes by RMGI Emtec

I did not know they stopped completely making plain VHS tape ??? I do not know but.....

http://usrecordingmedia-store.stores.yahoo.net/rmem60miadta.html

USRECORDINGMEDIA has RMGI Emtec ADAT SVHS tape that RMGI still makes today for now, but it is real expensive, but one good thing is, it is already formated for instant ADAT use right away.

You can still find FUJI, MAXELL, TDK, Sony, HHB and JVC SVHS tape online.

JVC SVHS tape can be found for real cheap around $3.99 per tape at: http://www.tapestockonline.com/jvcs120miprm.html

Yea' I know it is getting some what scarce, but I like to buy used ADAT tapes off eBay and Craigslist for their interesting recordings left on the tapes that the musicians forgot to erase' :D And I can still use them again by bulk erasing them, most used tapes are good for 100 or more plays/records if they are still clean.......

Last edited:
Back