3630 - shudder???

harold

in the page before this section it says something like "or do you use a 3630 (shudder!)" - why the shudder????

The Alesis 3630 is not held with highest regards at this BSS. The majority of the members here prefer other brands for compressors over this one. For the money, there are just too many other compressors that blow the 3630 out of the water.

Or maybe put a less polite way, the 3630 pretty much sucks in most applications!!!

True test of any compressor is how much compression you can actually do before it imparts a "color" or a drastic tonal change in the sound. The 3630 fail miserably is this department.

A much better compressor in the same price range would be the Behringer Composer. I am sure that others on this BBS could give other expamples of compressors that sound better in the same price range also.

Ed

I just bought a dbx 266 XL. I compared it to the 3630 in the store and the dbx was much better and $30 cheaper! The store dosen't have behringer stuff so I didn't get to hear that. So, how does my dbx compare to the behringer?

I really don't care much for dbx products, until you get into their really high end compressors. But I am sure that your unit is better than the Alesis is. As far as being better than the Behringer Composer, well, probably not. Not much under 1k is.

Ed

The main thing is if you're gonna buy something new in that price range, might as well get the RNC by FMR.

And as far as dbx is concerned. I feel the same way as sonusman does; except, once you're looking around in that kinda money, you'll most likely find something you like better in a lot of situations.

I was wondering about the Behringer Autocom. Is this as good as the Composer. I am trying to make a good buying decision.

Bob

hey SINGKING.. I don't know about the Autocom or the Composer but, I just got a steal of a deal, from Musicians Fr. on a Mastercom, by Behringer, to spice up my final mixes. It is of the multiband variety of compressors. My mixes are definately better leveled and more "In your face."

The only thing- something I've got to work out- My mixes are a little too bright for my taste when mastered through the Mastercom.

Users Manual ?? Place it next to the Sears Roebuck catalog in someones OUTHOUSE. I'm in the "tweek and try, tweak and try" mode right now.

I'm following this with some interest because I've been using a 3630 and I'd like to upgrade. As with the 3630, I,d like a 2 channel that can be stereo linked or channels used seperately (I like to use it when recording instruments and/or a kick and then use it linked on final 2X mix down).
Any suggestions for particular Behringer models that might be better than others?
Is the MDX2200 Composer Pro the best choice or is there a better one?
Thanx Much!

Can you be more specific on the "coloration" you're talking about? I own a 3630, and despite the fact that it's a little beat up (I had it in my bass rig and now It has a little problem getting started on ocassion), it works great for me. In fact, I liked it enough to have bought another one for my church...

thanks.

Believe it or not....I have had decent sucess with the 3630's
I have used dramers,jbls,etc.....

If you are patient, and have a fairly "hot" signal, but not to overload, and pay no attention to the numbers.....you can make it work.......
like the previous post.....it is best for a live rig, through a speaker...
I have a new one that has been in the box going on 3 years. One day I may need it in a pinch...thats why it is laying around..

I DO like the Autocom pro....be careful with those highs though, I use it before the eq, so I can fix it's transistorlike midrange...

When you have used the Dramers, and better tube gear, the 150 to 300 dollar units are toys. But again, you can make them work for you...

NICE FORUM>>>>

Back