1 weeee lil problem with the MDR

the MDR falls out of sync with the BRC when recording ---WHOA---

I was recording tracks to the MDR, via PLAY of the BRC as the drums recorded after 1:05 sec it dropped out. I'll be damn

So I figure as much to make the MDR the MASTER and make the BRC chase SMPTE and Cubase run MMC. This is what I hate,
my setup was fine and now I gotta change, that's the crappy part about new stuff ---everybody wants to be THE MASTER

I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Thanks for posting how things are going with your MDR. I am watching all these forums for comments on both the MDR and (hopefully soon) the Alesis HD24 since I am hoping to be able to purchase one of these after the first of the year. Just from the specs, there are things I like about each one, but its going to be the experience I hear about that will probably tip the scale one way or the other.

Whatever I get into, I've got to be able to do live recordings of up to 22 tracks, at least once a week, with durations of recorded material being about an hour continuous, so I want reliability and lots of storage capacity.

With that aside, though, other than the BRC issues, have you run into any other gotchas that caught you off guard?

Thanks again for your updates, and good luck with it all.

DDev.....

I actually had my first real life sighting of an Alesis HD24 the other day... it looked smaller than I pictured it really... Anyway, I've had no problems at all with my MDR, then again I don't use a BRC. Well, ok one problem... it is a little slow to stop when locked to Cubase, but only by a second or two, and when it does stop it adjusts its time code to where its supposed to be. So really, no big deal.

it's a solid ma--cheen

The MDR is solid, I havent run into anything else, also realize I'm using another MASTER TIME CODE (BRC) from my previous setup.

If your looking to use it by itself -- it's solid -- everything works as expected. Now the HDR I heard does --NOT-- ship with --TWO--
drives it has the bays, but only --ONE-- drive to save to, but the twist is that drives are not for sale yet.

I havent seen, felt, heard (well maybe one person, but I dont believe'em) has an HD24 yet, it is perfect for the price because of no extra I/O cards to purchase. Other than that I got the MDR cause I was tired of waiting, I have things to do, work to be done, thus far I've finished 12 recording vocals & music, mastered and everything, each song at 3:50 in length on a M90 drive, it's freakin' endless.

--my two cents---

either machine will suit the need for what you want to do, I mean what's the freakin difference, ((I was just impatient and couldnt wait, like I said I had stuff to do)) but all in all SUPPORT for the MDR may be more adequate than the HD24 being Alesis is going through all that they are, there plus is not having to purchase extra I/O , but you also can do the same on the MDR , it's just a lil more $$$, but also MDR is here---- NOW---- and the HD24 is
(looking around)

but I havent any problems beside that BRC sync and I got that the same day. OH! I think the HD24 drives can only be used with that unit, MDR drives can be swapped like to Pro-tools kind of like the Tascam MX2424. happy hunting

ssssssshhhhhh be vwery vwery quiet, I'm hunting for HD24'rrrrs

I don't know what happened ... I'm sitting here minding my own business dealing with another transport problem with my LX20s and BAM ...
I find myself led directly into Mackie country by mstudio1224 ... how did I get in HERE?!? :confused:
I picked up the MDR over the weekend. Got it up and running in minutes ... but ...
I can't find the "companion CD" that is supposed to contain the entire "tech" manual. All I have is the "Quick Start" guide. Did you get this CD? I think I'll need it if I want to tackle the sync stuff. Mackie has nothing online other than the Quick Start.

Also ... here's some good info I found online ...
Apparently, you can manufacture your own M90's by going here and ordering the Lian Li RH58 with a Western Digital 20G hard drive installed. (Western Digital and IBM were recommended because of problems with Maxtor and other brands)
$128 (incl shipping & 7200 rmp drive) as opposed to $200. So I thought I'd pass this on... it's the only place I could find the RH58 online ... they'll also put a drive in it, if you want.
http://www.shentech.com/hardrivmobra2.html

Is this the Mackie forum? ;)

Big kahuna

It's funny -- cause I came in here looking to see what was new and I see my forum at the top, WOW! I'm honored, I thought my post was OLD SKOOL ha ha ha ha

But no! I did not get a CD, just the same QUICK START GUIDE

Far as sync : dont know if you talking about to your ADATS but...
Use the MDR as MASTER or if you have a BRC, set the MDR to
((T.C.CHASE)) it's a little ass button underneath track (24)
Other than that, that's it....

Also, thank you about those drives, that'll be a big help

ha ha haha ha ahaha I'm sorry I brought you over into MACKIE land ha ha ha hahaa

Big Kahuna also...

If you go to MACKIE website, ((i'm pretty sure you know it))

scroll to the bottom where you'll see "ONLINE USER FORUM"

and go into HD recorders, there you'll find IMMENSE help in all
categories you need

Back