Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: MPC Studio

  1. #1
    fetuslasvegas is offline Señor Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    141
    Rep Power
    656745

    MPC Studio

    Sign in to disable this ad
    Is anyone out there using the MPC Studio? I was going to get a 1k, but then I saw the Studio is out. I would like to know what you think of it. I produce hip hop and have an MPD16 which I use for sampling and drums, is it worth the $600 to get those 'MPC sounds'?
    MacPro 8 core,Ableton Suite 8,Samsung SyncMaster S24B30BL,JBL LSR2325P,AKG K240 Studio,Mackie ONYX Blackjack,Blue Snowball,Numark PT-01,Akai APC40,M-Audio Oxygen25,Akai MPD16

  2. #2
    the-music-man is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    39
    Rep Power
    0
    Im no expert, but im pretty sure the mpc studio is just a midi controller, that comes with the software that comes with the renaisence and its probably been specificly designed for use with that softwars, and thats why its so expensive, So with an mpc studio yor not going to get the classic 'mpc sound' you get on old hip hop records, i would go with the mpc 1000, its cheaper and probably better for someone who hasnt used one before

  3. #3
    fetuslasvegas is offline Señor Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    141
    Rep Power
    656745
    Quote Originally Posted by the-music-man View Post
    Im no expert, but im pretty sure the mpc studio is just a midi controller, that comes with the software that comes with the renaisence and its probably been specificly designed for use with that softwars, and thats why its so expensive, So with an mpc studio yor not going to get the classic 'mpc sound' you get on old hip hop records, i would go with the mpc 1000, its cheaper and probably better for someone who hasnt used one before
    Thanks for your input music man... the 1k is actually more expensive than the studio at about $1k hahaha, the studio is a midi controller, which is nice because you no longer are at the mercy of the limited storage and processing power of your MPC (I doubt they will ever come out with a 3.2GHz 8 core MPC with 32GHz of ram)... The other thing is, the studio comes with a huge library of samples including the sounds of such classic units as the 3k...

    Which brings me back to: Is there anyone out there using it, and what is your experience?

    Thanks again!!
    MacPro 8 core,Ableton Suite 8,Samsung SyncMaster S24B30BL,JBL LSR2325P,AKG K240 Studio,Mackie ONYX Blackjack,Blue Snowball,Numark PT-01,Akai APC40,M-Audio Oxygen25,Akai MPD16

  4. #4
    wheelema's Avatar
    wheelema is offline Boner-obo
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Slab City, California
    Posts
    1,837
    Rep Power
    21474850
    Personally I'm biting on the Ableton (Akai) Push. I'm rationalizing the hell out of it by telling myself I'm getting a drum machine, a pad controller, and an Ableton LIVE control surface all wrapped up into one.

    The Studio has more sounds no question.

  5. #5
    fetuslasvegas is offline Señor Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    141
    Rep Power
    656745
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelema View Post
    Personally I'm biting on the Ableton (Akai) Push. I'm rationalizing the hell out of it by telling myself I'm getting a drum machine, a pad controller, and an Ableton LIVE control surface all wrapped up into one.

    The Studio has more sounds no question.
    Cool, the push seemed like it was suited much more towards live performance to me, but then again so did the APC 40, which I've been using for mixing and arrangement and I love it. An MPC is inevitable as I am producing hip hop, and I don't think my MPD will keep me happy forever, but I haven't figured out a way to rationalize $600 for an MPC sample pack essentially...
    MacPro 8 core,Ableton Suite 8,Samsung SyncMaster S24B30BL,JBL LSR2325P,AKG K240 Studio,Mackie ONYX Blackjack,Blue Snowball,Numark PT-01,Akai APC40,M-Audio Oxygen25,Akai MPD16

  6. #6
    wheelema's Avatar
    wheelema is offline Boner-obo
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Slab City, California
    Posts
    1,837
    Rep Power
    21474850
    Quote Originally Posted by fetuslasvegas View Post
    Cool, the push seemed like it was suited much more towards live performance to me, but then again so did the APC 40, which I've been using for mixing and arrangement and I love it. An MPC is inevitable as I am producing hip hop, and I don't think my MPD will keep me happy forever, but I haven't figured out a way to rationalize $600 for an MPC sample pack essentially...
    I'm not a musician, only an enabler for my musically inclined children, and among the issues that I'm fighting as I flesh out the studio are to avoid (a) paying for redundancy, and (b) getting immersed in 'sample madness'.

    I view the Push as a superset of an APC40 (albeit without sliders); a pad controller/drum machine cum control surface. On the upside I like the combined functionality as it requires less real estate and keeps keeps everything close at hand. The 'problem' with the Push is that (insofar as I'm aware) it has virtually no samples, being wholly dependent on the Ableton application for sounds.

    The reason I don't really see this as a problem is that with the Push I'm avoiding 'sample madness'. Sample madness is that marketing precept that you need 500 different drum kits, 185 different types of acoustic piano sounds, etc., available. One of the glaring 'features' of the Maschine is it's massive library. I appreciate why manufactures provide such functionality, but I don't want to pay for it... 10 different drum kits are plenty as far as I'm concerned.

  7. #7
    fetuslasvegas is offline Señor Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    141
    Rep Power
    656745
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelema View Post
    I'm not a musician, only an enabler for my musically inclined children, and among the issues that I'm fighting as I flesh out the studio are to avoid (a) paying for redundancy, and (b) getting immersed in 'sample madness'.

    I view the Push as a superset of an APC40 (albeit without sliders); a pad controller/drum machine cum control surface. On the upside I like the combined functionality as it requires less real estate and keeps keeps everything close at hand. The 'problem' with the Push is that (insofar as I'm aware) it has virtually no samples, being wholly dependent on the Ableton application for sounds.

    The reason I don't really see this as a problem is that with the Push I'm avoiding 'sample madness'. Sample madness is that marketing precept that you need 500 different drum kits, 185 different types of acoustic piano sounds, etc., available. One of the glaring 'features' of the Maschine is it's massive library. I appreciate why manufactures provide such functionality, but I don't want to pay for it... 10 different drum kits are plenty as far as I'm concerned.
    I hear ya!! Part of the fun in production is customizing the sounds you have into your own... With the Push you should be able to save yourself quite a bit of redundancy, just invest in a Behringer BCF2000 for mixing..
    MacPro 8 core,Ableton Suite 8,Samsung SyncMaster S24B30BL,JBL LSR2325P,AKG K240 Studio,Mackie ONYX Blackjack,Blue Snowball,Numark PT-01,Akai APC40,M-Audio Oxygen25,Akai MPD16

  8. #8
    primeXample is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0
    I have an MPC studio. I have owned it for almost 3 months, the same amount of time I have actually been producing my music. Like you, I also produce mainly hip-hop. The MPC studio is awesome. It had amazing features and the hardware itself is built very well. I bought mine at Americanmusical.com, and at the time Amazon had it for $340 and AMS matched the price! I am extremely happy with my purchase.

    Here is my latest work…
    https://soundcloud.com/primexampleproductions/the-new-age

  9. #9
    YWM
    YWM is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    19
    Rep Power
    0
    ive purchased the maschine studio instead of the mpc studio because i didnt know about the mpc's. i would have rather bought the mpc instead if i could turn back time!

  10. #10
    XploZiveToyz's Avatar
    XploZiveToyz is offline Force of Nature
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    574
    Rep Power
    2737276
    Why do you say that? As to the OP: If you know where to look you can find 100's of GB's of sounds and samples totally free. And I'm not talking about the illegal(stealing) downloading of proprietary sounds and samples. And to the parent who responded: You are exactly right! Until your children master the sounds and equipment that you've been kind enough to purchase for them already, spending more money is un-necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by YWM View Post
    ive purchased the maschine studio instead of the mpc studio because i didnt know about the mpc's. i would have rather bought the mpc instead if i could turn back time!
    XploZiveToyz
    "Remember: Children should never be allowed to play with XploZiveToyz!"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Mpc 2000xl or Mpc 1000
    By tone_aot in forum Akai / MPC
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-12-2006, 11:13
  2. mpc 2000xl studio disk error question
    By Paradise in forum Akai / MPC
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-08-2003, 18:12
  3. what is a good MPC studio set up
    By beats626 in forum Akai / MPC
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-25-2003, 14:52
  4. mpc 60 to mpc 3000 converter
    By bigskee in forum Akai / MPC
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-06-2002, 21:05
  5. Here is an MPC tutorial link for MPC newbies
    By SPINSTERWUN in forum Akai / MPC
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-30-2002, 01:42

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Special 93% Offer

Got beats? Samples? Mixing and mastering services? Get a head start with this 93% OFF special offer!