Thread: Akai's reel-to-reel 'Sound On Sound' function

YooDooRight is offline Newbie

Akai's reel-to-reel 'Sound On Sound' function

Sign in to disable this ad
    Can anyone explain the concept behind the 'Sound on Sound' function that Akai built into their reel-to-reel tape machines? I'm using an Akai 4000DS and would like to use it as a primitive multi-track tape recorder.

According to the user-manual of a similar model, the 'Sound on Sound' function lets you "..accumulate as many seperate recordings on a single track as is desired."

(reference: http://www.obsoletemedia.com/tapedec...KAI-page12.htm)

Following these user-manual instructions though i've not had any luck with the function. Can anyone talk me through it?

Thanks.

YDR

analog aaron is offline Swami King of Poppers
    Sounds to me like some sort of a "Bouncing" option. The way the manual words it is a little confusing. They almost make it sound as if you can record seperate "tracks" to a single track. That's not possible. A track is just 1 track. Pretty sure it's some kind of "Bouncing" function. The manual looks as if it explains the process of the procedure. Try it out and let us know.....
    Cheers,
    A

jjones1700 is offline Learning, always learning
    If I'm correct, you can record on one track (say the left, for example) and listen to the right channel, which would have previously recorded material on it. Basically, instead of recording on two channels at once, it gives you the option of recording on one at a time with simultaneous playback on the other track.
    The interface said to use "Windows XP or higher"...

... I used tape...

Quote Originally Posted by jjones1700 View Post
    If I'm correct, you can record on one track (say the left, for example) and listen to the right channel, which would have previously recorded material on it. Basically, instead of recording on two channels at once, it gives you the option of recording on one at a time with simultaneous playback on the other track.
    I didn't think about this, but jjones is right. It's a way of monitoring one track while recording on another.......Then I read the reference links operating instructions and then it sounds like you can overdub repeatedly. So maybe it is "Bouncing" tracks as you record a new one (While monitoring previously recorded material)???

jjones1700 is offline Learning, always learning
    Quote Originally Posted by analog aaron View Post
    I didn't think about this, but jjones is right. It's a way of monitoring one track while recording on another.......Then I read the reference links operating instructions and then it sounds like you can overdub repeatedly. So maybe it is "Bouncing" tracks as you record a new one (While monitoring previously recorded material)???
    I'm not sure you can bounce tracks with this setup. Then again, I've never tried. My Pioneer has this type of setup, but I have never given it a shot. I usually use the feature for mono recordings. I'll have to experiment and see what happens.
    The interface said to use "Windows XP or higher"...

... I used tape...

I dunno. You got me. It does say though "The third and subsequent recordings are made in the same manner as the second by switching track selector switch to 1-4 and 2-3 and swapping the mic back and forth between the L and R inputs"
    Probably not worded exactly as I've written it, but something like that.

Rodrev is offline A red red fox
    According to a experienced engineer here in Norway, on Tandberg recorders, the "sound-on-sound" feature allows you to bounce one track to another, while overdubbing with a microphone or instrument.

The overdub will play back slightly delayed, due to the distance between playback and recording heads.

tkingen is offline Djembes Rock
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodrev View Post
    According to a experienced engineer here in Norway, on Tandberg recorders, the "sound-on-sound" feature allows you to bounce one track to another, while overdubbing with a microphone or instrument.

The overdub will play back slightly delayed, due to the distance between playback and recording heads.

This is correct. If I remember right that deck has a simul-sync function so you will not have the delay.
    May the baby Jesus shut your mouth and open your mind - Don Van Vliet

Thread Information