Thoughts on Ableton Live 9 Standard

villain fan

I bought Ableton Live 9 Standard the other day and, before I open it and void my return option, I am hoping to get some thoughts on whether or not I made the right choice.

I don't necessarily need recording software. I have been using Cool Edit Pro for years and, I am very comfortable with it. I also have a version of Cubase LE 5 that came with an interface I bought. The reason I bought Ableton was for instrument sounds. I have an old Roland JV-30 keyboard. It's a decent keyboard but, I want to have more sounds available to me. I went shopping for a new keyboard and quickly found that everything has gone to interfaces and software as opposed to buying a giant keyboard with a plethora of sounds. So I decided to keep my Roland and run it into my laptop and use Ableton as my recording software and my source for more sounds for my keyboard to use. I'm really into vintage piano, organ, Rhodes, mellotron, etc. sounds but, my preference really runs all over the spectrum. It just depends on the song.

My question is, did I make the right choice (for the money) or did I just buy an expensive piece of recording software, which I wasn't necessarily out to buy in the first place?

Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated. If I made the wrong choice I can still return it but, once it's opened, then it's mine for good. I just want to be sure before I open it and try it out.

Thanks!

Back