Zoom H2 distorts while functioning as audio interface.

Dean_Kaleb

Hi everyone,

So I'm having a problem with my Zoom H2 handy recorder. When I use it as an interface, the audio gets distorted. No clipping assured!
The distortion is probably caused by an overload on CPU. I am using Studio One and the performance bar keeps hitting the roof.
I am using a MacBook Pro with a quad core i7 and 16Gb memory. No other software was active during this occurrence. It can't be possible that this would have been too much.
I had one track with a distorted recording, no plug-ins used. No VST.
Never had this problem with my other Zoom interface.

The sample rate and bit of the Zoom and my laptop are equal. My Mac software is also alright since Mac OS X 10.2 is acquired for the Zoom, and I am using Big Sur 11.4.
This is the first time that im using the Zoom as an interface and this occurred immediately.

Thoughts?

Are you saying the raw track has distortion in it? Can you post the original WAV (not a bounced MP3) in a Dropbox [link] or such, so we can see and hear the distortion?

Zoom H2 only supports 16-bit recording, and maybe only 44.1kHz sample rate. Is that what your project is set at? Have you tried recording with GarageBand or Audacity to see if it behaves the same way?

I no longer have my H2 (gave it to a friend to do voiceovers for their yoga studio), but I used it as an interface on a couple different Macs, including my 2010 MBP and did not have distortion problems. Not the quietest mic-interface around, but it wasn't distorted.

For other people reading this: check the settings for the Zoom on your macbook in de MIDI settings (Audio MIDI Setup.app). For some reason that's ANOTHER spot where the kHz - setting can be wrong, that fixed my issue once I set it from 48 to 44.1

Back