Youtube gameplay commentary microphone help please

sunzz

hey all , sorry to bother you guys but im stuck so badly on what to do about youtube commentary. i need a nice sounding mic that picks up my soft mellow voice lol.also sometimes i sit back in my chair and game so id need a mic that can reach 1-2 feet.does anyone have any advice on what i should pick? im stuck between the blue nessie,yeti or snowball but i have no clue what to do.also il place it on my mousemat so the keyboard and mouse will be close. any help is appreciated guys thanks in advance :)

Edit: im useing the sennheiser g4me one headset right now but as my voice is so soft im really quiet.and if i put the mic boost up theres loads of hissing and the volumes on 100 :( even the ingame audio is very low and im still hard to hear

Are you doing the commentary overdubbed (after on playback) for the you tube videos?

Are you doing the commentary overdubbed (after on playback) for the you tube videos?

em it will be live.just me and friends playing games and doing stupid stuff like normal lol. sometimes it will be after though, so its mainly for live.i have no clueeee :(

Get a headset, the microphone would be near you wherever you go and you're not doing it for serious commentating, right?

Not trying to sound like a punk, but have you tried just moving the headset mic closer to your mouth? Just find it hard to believe you can't get decent results with a $250+ headset...If you truly are THAT quiet, then you'll probably run into just as many gain-noise problems using any other mic as well.

Not trying to sound like a punk, but have you tried just moving the headset mic closer to your mouth? Just find it hard to believe you can't get decent results with a $250+ headset...If you truly are THAT quiet, then you'll probably run into just as many gain-noise problems using any other mic as well.

im thinknig the same thing but if its to close u get all that wind noise etc :P so iv just ordered the little sponge thing oyu put on the end and il move it closer and see what happens cheers for all ur replys :)

im thinknig the same thing but if its to close u get all that wind noise etc :P so iv just ordered the little sponge thing oyu put on the end and il move it closer and see what happens cheers for all ur replys :)
Oh ok cool yeah a pop filter will help. I've got one on my turtle beaches and it helps with air bursts and stuff a lot. Didn't know you didn't have one to begin with or else I'd have recommended it first!

Oh ok cool yeah a pop filter will help. I've got one on my turtle beaches and it helps with air bursts and stuff a lot. Didn't know you didn't have one to begin with or else I'd have recommended it first!

aww hahaha thanks bro dam it was ment to be here today but it didnt come. i cry everytime lmao :P

Buy a swath of fake fur and put it over the mic element. Stitch it like a sock and bread / zip tie it off. Keep it short-ish hair so you're not eating dead cat fur. That'll help cut down the wind noise. Foam isn't that great at cutting wind noise. Barely good enough to minimize wind if you have a lav on your colar and walk around a room at a brisk pace. And foam doesn't age well.

You might check where the mic is actually pointed. A lot of headset mics are cardiod and if upside down or other things might be pointed at your hairline or neck and not the sound source. I use an ATM-75 to a sound devices MM-1 and pipe it to an M-Audio Mobilepre for youtube or skype style audio. Probably overkill, but integrated audio at a minimum is the worst possible option. Plus having some analog-ish gear with knobs really helps to resolve level issues quickly.

Back