Yamaha AW16G "time remaining" issue

bhweb

Hello. I have been using a three-step process to clear out old files from my Yamaha AW16G: 1) record a project's fully-mixed audio track to an external unit, using the G's Stereo Out, 2) using the CD Backup function to create backups to a CD on the "G", then copying the CD(s) into a PC folder for long-term storage, and 3) using the G's Export function to write the individual G tracks to a CD. Those tracks are also copied to the PC's project folder. Then, on the PC, an archive set is made to an external storage drive for security. So far, so good; all is working according to plan. Once these steps are all completed for each project, the AW16G files are then erased.

Here is the hitch: on the AW16G, when I go to look at the TIME REMAINING number, instead of it getting larger, indicating more time available for recording, it is getting smaller! This seems to go against all logic in that having erased the project files, more room should be available for recording, correct? I can't determine what would be a valid reason for the "available recording time" to be decreasing after files have been erased.

Comment is invited.

Have you run the Optimize function? It's been a while, but I think that even when you erase sections of the files, it's non destructive so that you can undo up to 15 past changes. Optimize is supposed to clear data and reduce size, although I have heard of issues. What version OS is on your machine?

At the very least, you could reformat the hard drive, if you know you have everything backed up. Then reinstall the operating system. You can get a copy of the BIN file from Dijonstock forum in the DOCs section, along with instructions on how to do it.

Have you run the Optimize function? It's been a while, but I think that even when you erase sections of the files, it's non destructive so that you can undo up to 15 past changes. Optimize is supposed to clear data and reduce size, although I have heard of issues. What version OS is on your machine?

At the very least, you could reformat the hard drive, if you know you have everything backed up. Then reinstall the operating system. You can get a copy of the BIN file from Dijonstock forum in the DOCs section, along with instructions on how to do it.
Hello! I had not run the Optimize function before; I was waiting until all of the backups had been done. That way, in case something goes wrong with the Optimiize (which I have never run before), at least the PC-based backups are in place. I don't know the OS version; I will look into that. By DOCs section, I could not find a section by that exact name in Dijonstock. I will look further.
Thank you very much for the comments!

Back