Witch interface focuseite, m-audio, ssl

Wadmalawman

Hey fairly new to digital recording….looking at focusrite 18i8, m-audio 192/14 and SSL12.

Any thoughts suggestions on these units. I want to record alesis electroic drums with guitar, bass and vocals …will do some stuff on my own layering tracks and other times live with friends.

Any of those are probably fine, but you really want to the number and kind the outputs you'll have, i.e., how many outs are there from the electronic drums, and are they all line level, or what? How many mics when recording live, how many direct or line levels when live, etc... Then, go count up what those interfaces have, recognizing some of the combo XLR inputs can be switched, but some might not switch to what you need. Then, you can pick.

I have 3 18i8 interfaces, but forget the ADAT channels, because they don't work.
They do not have ADAT clock connectors, like other stuff that actually works.

I used ADAT with my Saffire Focusrite 26 Pro (18i8 predecessor with FW) and the “trick” was to use the F-rite software and configure the ADAT device as the master clock, so the interface would use the clock data in the ADAT stream. Didn’t work any other way.

Ok the 192/14 has more inputs than the ssl12…to record live I want two line for stereo drums , one instrument for bass , mike on guitar and vocals and a mike on the room. Curious though the ssl is more money…does it offer better recordings/preamps?

I used ADAT with my Saffire Focusrite 26 Pro (18i8 predecessor with FW) and the “trick” was to use the F-rite software and configure the ADAT device as the master clock, so the interface would use the clock data in the ADAT stream. Didn’t work any other way.
Interesting. I've exhausted Focusrite customer help on the issue.

Hi
in my experience focusrite scarlett is a excellent unit & great value
i have used one for years without any problems
you could also consider the Universal Audio Apollo they are top of the range but expensive
i recently bought one & i am very happy , however the UAD plugins are also expensive

subvibe

I purchased SSL12 and pre-amps are high grade. Decided against UA x4 due to all the hassle with Windows. My supplier stopped stocking focusrite due to complaints; just not same quality as SSL or UA. Just starting out with SSL DAI and using Ableton Lite DAW but still learning setup, few niggles

Interesting. I've exhausted Focusrite customer help on the issue.
Yep, ADAT and SPDIF generally require setting the receiving device as slave to make its clock follow the clock signal embedded in the incoming signal. Some devices have a physical switch, some do it in the software control panel.

If you want the device receiving signal to be the clock master (say you have more than one ADAT source), you might need to loop an ADAT connection back out to the sending devices (depending on there being both inputs and outputs on all the devices).

Of the 3 you mentioned The SSL is probably the "best" built but all 3 will get you what you want just fine.
There are a ton of other choices. Just to confuse things and add more choices, for about $300 more you can own a Behringer XR18 and have a whole lot more inputs and outputs and routing options than any of the above.
These have become quite popular over the last few years beyond being used to use as a mixer to record live shows but as an actual a 18 x 18 studio interface.

I own one and rarely use it because I usually am only recording 2 tracks at time so I just run through my 2 x 2 usb mixer. But I have it in my bag for when I do want to use it.... It is a learning curve to use but powerful.

1702565645074.png

Attachments

• 1702564152281.png
    1702564152281.png
    364.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back