Will plugging a dynamic mic straight into my tascam 424 4 track work?

tapejake345

I have a condenser mic and i have to use an interface in order for it to work with my tascam 4 track because the mic needs phantom power, but i read that dynamic mics don't necessarily need phantom power. So if i buy a dynamic mic will it work with my 4 track if i plug it directly into the the channel? Thinking of buying a cheap dynamic mic like a shure 48.

Go a few more bucks and get a sm 67 or sm 58.

As far as dynamic mics working, I know of no dynamic mic using phantom power.

I used to use a 58 in my Tascam four track all the time,, but you need an XLR to 1/4 inch adaptor, and they usually have transformer built in.

Since you have an interface, you most likely could use that too. Just make sure to turn off phantom power. Run the line out to the Tascam input.

I used to use a 58 in my Tascam four track all the time,, but you need an XLR to 1/4 inch adaptor, and they usually have transformer built in.
yea i just want a mic where i can plug in and record ya know. Nothing extra that i need like phantom power or a pre amp. So any dynamic mic would work fine basically right?

Since you have an interface, you most likely could use that too. Just make sure to turn off phantom power. Run the line out to the Tascam input
yea thats the thing, i dont want to have tp use my interface, i just want to plug in and go.

I assume you mean SM57.

The Blue Ball is a dynamic that uses phantom power to run an onboard active buffer. It makes it less sensitive to loading variations.

I assume you mean SM57.

The Blue Ball is a dynamic that uses phantom power to run an onboard active buffer. It makes it less sensitive to loading variations.
Yeah I did. :) typos on a phone keyboard can happen lol

Didn’t know that (blue ball) any other dynamics use phantom?

The 57 and 58 are fine. I have both the 57 and the Senn e835. Both will work fine. I prefer the Senn 835 for vocals. They are the same price as the Shures, and have a bit more output.

I’ve got a 48. Never use it. It is dull and lacks any real positive, apart from its tough. Spend just a tiny bit more and get a 57 or 58. 57s just not that simple to use with vocals unless you spend a bit on a decent windshield.

Back